New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Movie won't play in iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aussiedan

aussiedan is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I'm new to this, if this is the wrong place to post about this, please move it.
My iMac is 6 days old now, I just tried to download a movie via iTunes. It won't play. I tried my best searching for an answer, tried all that was suggested, but still no luck.

I have downloaded some apps from the app store, I guess my account authorisation is ok otherwise these wouldn't have worked (got the $1 account evaluation on my credit card)

The iMac i'm using has mavericks 10.9.4 installed and updated yesterday. Account with iTunes should be good to go. iMac is almost brand new.

The file download is still not fully compete, i expect it will take the better part of 1.5 hrs, its halfway and the first half took that long.

I got the "watch now or later" prompt and clicked watch later., but clicking the thumbnail in the library won't start it playing.

All i'm getting is a black screen. I can see thumbnails of the chapters.

I was hoping that supporting apple by paying $$, I would get what i wanted, given all the iTunes hype. Gotta admit, this is the first disappointment I've had, I feel its an iTunes fault, not an iMac fault, but i know very little.

I found some old tips that suggested flicking between the mini player and back, but that didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't normally download movies from iTunes, but I believe you will not be able to watch the movie until the download is complete. The watch now or later refers to after the movie is downloaded not while the download is in progress.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"Watch now" allows you to start watching a purchased or rented movie almost immediately -- you've told the computer that you want to watch the movie even as it is downloading, which it can do (but if the download is going slowly, you may see pauses).

Telling it "watch later" informs the computer that you will not be watching the movie until after it is completely downloaded, so that (in the case of a rental) your "countdown clock" doesn't start early. Wait for it to download and then it will play as expected.
QUOTE Thanks
aussiedan

aussiedan is on a distinguished road

You are right chas_m, thats all it was. I think I was getting impatient.
Movie plays as expected, kids are happy now. I feel a little embarrassed now...

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No worries!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« background music supplied with iMovie | iMovie and Safari »