Best use of DVD+R and DVD-R Discs
    bought a couple of brand new 25 pack blank DVD-R and DVD+R discs at a garage sale because the price was too good to pass up. I incorrectly assumed that I could transfer mp3 files to these DVD-R and DVD+R discs and play them on a conventional CD player. Besides playing mp3 files on a DVD player (which is ok, but not my first choice), what are the best uses for these discs for a beginner level computer user? What could be a easy to learn hobby or way to use these discs other than coasters? Is one better than the other on an 2006 iMac with a MAT****A DVD-R UJ-85J

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Besides playing mp3 files on a DVD player (which is ok, but not my first choice), what are the best uses for these discs for a beginner level computer user?
    Store photos on them, or you can use them for burning home movies or home recordings. I keep a stack of DVD and CD media around for just those purposes. Also, programs that you bought by downloading can be backed up on DVD media.

Specs:
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.11.4
    Quote Originally Posted by SJGUY99 View Post
    bought a couple of brand new 25 pack blank DVD-R and DVD+R discs......assumed that I could transfer mp3 files to these DVD-R and DVD+R discs and play them on a conventional CD player. Besides playing mp3 files on a DVD player (which is ok, but not my first choice), what are the best uses for these discs for a beginner level computer user?..........
    Chscag has already provided you w/ most of the potential uses for your DVDs - the type , i.e. DVD-R & DVD+R should not make a difference, although in the early days some machines & media brands were finicky.

Keep in mind that a recordable single-sided DVD has 4.7 GB capacity, so 'backup' of photos, video & data would certainly be a good use; today, most use standard HDs or SSD media (drives, USB sticks, etc.).

As to music, a LOT of MP3 files could be stored on a DVDR - I've made CD-Rs w/ 6-8 hours of MP3 files (nice for the basement shop), so not sure if that is the best use, but if you want to archive your music in a 'lossless' format (including just burning CDA), then you could get a half dozen or more regular CDs onto a recordable DVD; and current disc players (whether DVD or BD) are backward compatible and cheap these days. Dave

How about using them to transfer photos and music to a new computer instead of buying a USB drive?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by SJGUY99 View Post
    How about using them to transfer photos and music to a new computer instead of buying a USB drive?
    Sure, you can do it that way. But using the "Migration Assistant" is easier and faster.

Specs:
    Imac 27" Retina 3.3GHz, 512GB Flash, 16GB memory, OS X.11.4.
    Or cool beer coasters. Another use tie them on a string to keeps birds off the garden!
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information