New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Fixing too loud audio in iMovie 10.0.2

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kschlea

kschlea is on a distinguished road

I shot a video after upgrading my firmware in my Canon 7D. I used the same lav mic I've used many times before and never had a problem with it, but this time the audio came out alarmingly loud, which I didn't discover until I played it back on the computer. It's like there's a buzz to the voice. You can understand what they're saying, and if I reduce the volume there is still that "buzz" type sound. Is there a way to fix this in iMovie? I dodn't know how to send a soundtrack so you can hear it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

No way to fix that in iMovie. You can separate the audio from the movie, take the sound into an audio editor and see if you can fix it (hint: izotrope's declipper plug in MIGHT help you -- costs $$), then put the fixed audio file back on the video and hope you get the sync-up spot on.

There's also overdubbing new sound over what got all distorted if you don't want to do that -- any chance of getting the participants and wild sound to do a little ADR?
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

Fixing that is going to be difficult at best.
As far as the original cause, does your camera now have a manual audio levels adjustment where it didn't have one before the update? If so, that is where your original problem lies-- you need to bring the levels down.
QUOTE Thanks
kschlea

kschlea is on a distinguished road

Yes, the camera now does. The lav mic always worked perfectly before I did the firmware upgrade. Never a problem. I have done everything possible and even tried some other "fixers". The client does not want a re-shoot and feels it's good enough with my "adjustments". If I would have used the shotgun mic it would have been fine. It's embarrassing to me, but gotta go w/ the client.

Live and learn to do an upgrade and then completely test before shooting. I've done this for 30 years and am still missing things..... hehe

I've now adjusted the lav mic and all works fine............. better late than never, I guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you embed jpg images into mp4 files? | Basic HowTo: Using MTS/M2TS files in FCP/FCE/iMovie »