New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Best free video converter for mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mistabeas2014

mistabeas2014 is on a distinguished road

I was at a client's house trying to work on their mac though being unfamiliar with most of the features, I am totally unsure as far as the best video converter that's available for the Mac OS. If anyone can help, I appreciate it.

On a side note, they were trying to burn a DVD that plays on any DVD player; they tried to burn a .MOV file which obviously does not play on a TV (only on a computer)
QUOTE Thanks
Rod Sprague

Rod Sprague is a jewel in the roughRod Sprague is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.9.4, iMac 2.5 gHz OS 10.6, iPhone 4 iOS 7, 4th Gen iPod touch iOS 5, Apple TV 2

The answer is HandBrake. I challange anyone to suggest a better, easier app.

RodS Don't forget to click on the permalink (top right corner) if you were helped by a post in this forum.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

For free? Handbrake is good, Burn handles both the conversion and the burning (and is free) and the late lamented VisualHub (which still works but is no longer available) was my favourite.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
For free? Handbrake is good, Burn handles both the conversion and the burning (and is free) and the late lamented VisualHub (which still works but is no longer available) was my favourite.
Wow. Didn't know it still worked. I read about a fix and tried it but never seemed to get it working right.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
Wow. Didn't know it still worked. I read about a fix and tried it but never seemed to get it working right.
Just a quick note to Sly. Visual Hub still works. There was a patch they released for Lion and that still worked on Mountain Lion.

BUT and there is a But, in Mavericks as most know, they changed Quicktimes Video Engine to what IOS uses which is called "AV Foundation" and is 64 bit only. It broke all Codec support. QT7 will still use them but unfortionetally VH looks at the new Quicktime and uses it. Well issue is, only movies in the format that play on the new QT engine will convert in VH! Doing a test AVI right now and it business as always, but anything with FLV or anything that needs Perian to play on the new QT engine, also will not convert in VH.

So it works but it does not with all files it used to. If you are still running Mountain Lion though it works with everything it worked with.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just a quick note to Sly. Visual Hub still works. There was a patch they released for Lion and that still worked on Mountain Lion and I forgot what I had to do but it now works on Mavericks also. I will see if I can still find the info and post it if I do as it's the best app I have ever used for that purpose.
Thanks. I'd appreciate it. IIRC I tried the Lion patch but couldn't get it working properly. Think it kept asking for a license code but don't remember for sure. Couldn't find the code so I stopped using it.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Sly, I just updated my post. If you are still interested I will find the info but with the change in the QT engine, certain formats will not convert. Some will.

What many are recommending is a newer app called Permute. It seems to work great but I have not had a lot of time to test it.

Edit: I just tried Permute and it works great. Very much like VH but I still love VH interface more.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Thanks for the info. It should still work with most of the formats I use regularly.

Think I will also give Permute a try. Missed that one somehow.

I've tried several converters since VH, both free and paid, but have not found one I like as much as that one.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another recommendation for Permute here. $10 or so, and easily worth it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Another recommendation for Permute here. $10 or so, and easily worth it.
Chas, having a strange issue in 10.9.1 Mavericks with Permute. It runs shell scripts one time in terminal so the helper apps will be allowed to run. Well they would not run so their forums said to open the terminal first. Well one then runs but the other errors and I get videos that are white with no picture. You ever ran into that one?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

No, I haven't thus far (but my video conversion needs are few and simple for the most part). Maybe give iFFmpeg a spin and see if that can do the job for you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imovie help...HELP....help | How do I digitize my dvd's »