New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Export from iMovie too large to burn to DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msuperbauer

msuperbauer is on a distinguished road

So I just finished my iMovie project and it came out absolutely perfect! I go to export it via the "Share" option as a "File" and it's too large to burn to a dvd (7.0gb) BUT! In my old iMovie, I could "Export" the file and choose resolution, either Youtube, tv, 720p or 1080p. I just need to export the project in a smaller (lower resolution) format. What am I missing?? The only option I can see is to "Share" Your assistance is GREATLY Appreciated!!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I just did one from iMovie 10.0.1 on OS 10 .9.1 and had the option of small,medium and large all listed under share along with where I wanted to send it.
Where are you wanting to send it?
QUOTE Thanks
leadfoot

leadfoot will become famous soon enough

Are transferring to idvd itself and trying to burn a copy. if so click on project menu and select different quality high pro etc. if the imovie rejects the dvd maybe you need to save on the hdd or use dl dvd.
QUOTE Thanks
msuperbauer

I just got a new imac a couple months ago, love it but I'm having a hard twith the differend, updated imovie as well as the lack of iDvd. What I was going to do was "Share" it as a file, then transfer it (via my ext. hd) to my older imac that has imovie and burn.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
So I just finished my iMovie project
Which version of iMovie are you using?
QUOTE Thanks
msuperbauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Which version of iMovie are you using?
Whatever the latest one is.
QUOTE Thanks
msuperbauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.
I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol
QUOTE Thanks
RadDave

RadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of lightRadDave is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MBP 13" (2013); 2.6 GHz i5; 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuperbauer View Post
I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol
Well, if you family members need DVDs, then you'll have to find a resolution solution to burn your 'movie' to a single layer DVD; however, I still occasional 'burn' CD-Rs & DVD-Rs - for the latter usually old movies from the TCM channel which I save to my DVR - have a Sony stand-alone DVD burner that does 'dual layer', so for several years, I've been using some Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-Rs (8.5 GB capacity) - not sure if your burner does dual layers, but just another consideration - good luck. Dave
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

As you don't have iDVD, Share or Export from iMovie as a movie file then try Burn(free) to produce a dvd. Make sure you choose a Video DVD, and you should have the option to use a dual layer/double sided dvd to fit your large movie onto.

Don't worry too much about the size of your movie file(7Gig), as it's more about the length of the video that determines whether it will fit on a dvd. Burn should tell you if it's too long for a single layer disc.

Also, even though iMovie may Export it as a 720/1080 movie, the dvd resolution will only be 720x576/480. If you want HD dvds you'll need something like Roxio' Toast and an external dvd burner.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burn - Home
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD, DVD, Blu-Ray Burning Software Program for Mac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« remove unwanted noise in iMovie 11 | Duplicating iDVD »