Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Movies and Video (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/)
-   -   Export from iMovie too large to burn to DVD (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/movies-video/306891-export-imovie-too-large-burn-dvd.html)

msuperbauer 12-19-2013 09:02 AM

Export from iMovie too large to burn to DVD

So I just finished my iMovie project and it came out absolutely perfect! I go to export it via the "Share" option as a "File" and it's too large to burn to a dvd (7.0gb) BUT! In my old iMovie, I could "Export" the file and choose resolution, either Youtube, tv, 720p or 1080p. I just need to export the project in a smaller (lower resolution) format. What am I missing?? The only option I can see is to "Share" Your assistance is GREATLY Appreciated!!

osxx 12-19-2013 11:03 AM

I just did one from iMovie 10.0.1 on OS 10 .9.1 and had the option of small,medium and large all listed under share along with where I wanted to send it.
Where are you wanting to send it?

leadfoot 12-19-2013 11:12 AM

Are transferring to idvd itself and trying to burn a copy. if so click on project menu and select different quality high pro etc. if the imovie rejects the dvd maybe you need to save on the hdd or use dl dvd.

msuperbauer 12-19-2013 11:37 AM

I just got a new imac a couple months ago, love it but I'm having a hard twith the differend, updated imovie as well as the lack of iDvd. What I was going to do was "Share" it as a file, then transfer it (via my ext. hd) to my older imac that has imovie and burn.

harryb2448 12-19-2013 03:47 PM

Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.

MightyGem 12-19-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

So I just finished my iMovie project
Which version of iMovie are you using?

msuperbauer 12-19-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyGem (Post 1557488)
Which version of iMovie are you using?

Whatever the latest one is.

msuperbauer 12-19-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryb2448 (Post 1557480)
Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.

I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol

RadDave 12-19-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msuperbauer (Post 1557498)
I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol

Well, if you family members need DVDs, then you'll have to find a resolution solution to burn your 'movie' to a single layer DVD; however, I still occasional 'burn' CD-Rs & DVD-Rs - for the latter usually old movies from the TCM channel which I save to my DVR - have a Sony stand-alone DVD burner that does 'dual layer', so for several years, I've been using some Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-Rs (8.5 GB capacity) - not sure if your burner does dual layers, but just another consideration - good luck. Dave :)

MightyGem 12-20-2013 03:58 PM

As you don't have iDVD, Share or Export from iMovie as a movie file then try Burn(free) to produce a dvd. Make sure you choose a Video DVD, and you should have the option to use a dual layer/double sided dvd to fit your large movie onto.

Don't worry too much about the size of your movie file(7Gig), as it's more about the length of the video that determines whether it will fit on a dvd. Burn should tell you if it's too long for a single layer disc.

Also, even though iMovie may Export it as a 720/1080 movie, the dvd resolution will only be 720x576/480. If you want HD dvds you'll need something like Roxio' Toast and an external dvd burner.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burn - Home
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD, DVD, Blu-Ray Burning Software Program for Mac