New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

IMovie to DVD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poppi

poppi is on a distinguished road

I am working on my first iMovie project. I completed the iMovie work, (Share > iDVD), created a disk image (File > save as disc image) and burned a DVD from the disc image. Unfortunately when I play it on our TV (16:9 aspect ratio) a significant part of the picture is lost both top/bottom and left/right. Most annoying the titles are chopped off. When I view either the original iMovie project or the disc image on the Mac all is normal. Evidently I missed something.

Suggestions please

Thank you, poppi
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

When you created the titles etc. did they all fall within the "TV safe" boundaries for widescreen format. See the post by SDMacuser here to check that.

Other possible fixes have been suggested such as the post by user Nolesrock here Been a while since I used iDVD so there may be other fixes I have forgotten.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
poppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
When you created the titles etc. did they all fall within the "TV safe" boundaries for widescreen format. See the post by SDMacuser here to check that.

Other possible fixes have been suggested such as the post by user Nolesrock here Been a while since I used iDVD so there may be other fixes I have forgotten.
Neither of these answers my problem. I am confused by the need to go from iMovie to iDVD to burn a DVD. I spent countless hours importing and editing video and photos, adding and editing transitions and titles and ended with a perfect movie when viewed on the Mac in iMovie and again ias a disc image. This is probably a dumb question but why can't I burn a DVD directly from iMovie?

I get terribly confused by the apparent necessity to reconfigure everything in iDVD.

Thank you

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

If you were using the computer to playback your movie through the TV playing the movie file or disc image would work well most of the time. Unfortunately, burning a DVD for playback in a standard DVD player requires having certain files in specific locations on the disc and in a specific format. iMovie cannot create the necessary files. Skip the next paragraph if you don't care what those files are and their purpose.

A basic DVD will contain three types of files: IFO, BUP, and VOB. IFO files contain information that the player needs to understand the disc’s structure (total running time, number of chapters, etc.) BUP files are essentially backups of the information contained in the IFO files. The VOB contain the actual video files in MPEG-2 format.

Although there are other programs available that will properly burn such discs such as Toast or Burn, the menus are not as nice as those created by iDVD.

QUOTE Thanks
poppi

Well not exactly solved but resolved. I don't know what inspired me to try the following but it worked. My TV is one of those ultra modern smarter than me appliances (which I detest). I t is also a DVD player and has 3 aspect ratio settings - standard, fill, and over fill. I tried playing with those to no avail but I also have a much older VCR/DVD player which is "DUMB". We only held on to that so we could play some of our ancient VCR movies. As a last resort I popped the DVD into that machine and it played perfectly on the "SMART" TV. So, while I don't understand the why I have solved my problem and will play my movies through the older machine.

Thanx to all for your help

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Glad you got that resolved. I have a TV with a similar setting and it had caused similar behavior from time to time. I can never figure out the right setting. It's also really inconsistent about which things get messed up. Should have thought to mention that.

QUOTE Thanks
MacShane

MacShane has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Gen1 15"MBP-R 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.9.2

Yep. Had the same problem. Popped my newly made DVD into our player (as I always do) to make sure it would play and some of the picture was being cut off. played with the TV's aspect settings and voila - problem solved. And my TV is one of those old CRT things...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Latest update ditched iDVD?!? Please assist | remove unwanted noise in iMovie 11 »