Thread: iMovie editing

iMovie editing
    I am just getting into iMovie and my first project is a mix of videos and still photographs. My first challenge is setting the time length of still photos. In the story board I hover over a given photo (this one shows a time of 9 sec) I click what looks like a gear then 'clip adjustments' then enter a number 7 and check 'Applies to all stills' then click done. Going back to the clip it still says 9 sec. 3 clips following that one all say 11 sec.

More info - I have set transitions between all clips as 4.0 sec, cross dissolve, and the overlap says 'All-maintain clip range' (not half - maintain project duration)..

I suspect the time set issue might be connected to the transition settings but cannot fined anything to help.

Thank you for any advice

poppi

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Which version of iMovie are you using?
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Which version of iMovie are you using?
    Sorry I should have covered that. I am at iMovie 11, v 9.0/4

poppi

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    I think it's the transitions that need more time than you're trying to give them. As a test try adding a couple of stills at the end with no transition and set the durations.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

iMovie editing
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    I think it's the transitions that need more time than you're trying to give them. As a test try adding a couple of stills at the end with no transition and set the durations.
    Thank you mrplow. I tried modifying the transition length but had no luck. I then opened the Project Properties dialog and changed the transition duration to 4.0 sec and photo Duration to 6.0 sec and checked 'Applies to all photos' , This seems to have changed all the photos loaded in the project thus far.

Will let you know if I have any further problems

poppi

Quote Originally Posted by poppi View Post
    Thank you mrplow. I tried modifying the transition length but had no luck. I then opened the Project Properties dialog and changed the transition duration to 4.0 sec and photo Duration to 6.0 sec and checked 'Applies to all photos' , This seems to have changed all the photos loaded in the project thus far.

Will let you know if I have any further problems

poppi
    I think I spoke too soon. as soon as I added more photo clips to the project all the settings changed. All the transitions jumped from 4 to 6 sec and the photo lengths are all over the place, anywhere from 9 to 13 sec.

poppi

iMovie editing
    Quote Originally Posted by poppi View Post
    I think I spoke too soon. as soon as I added more photo clips to the project all the settings changed. All the transitions jumped from 4 to 6 sec and the photo lengths are all over the place, anywhere from 9 to 13 sec.

poppi
    The mystery continues. For my latest attempt I opened clip adjustments which showed a 12 sec duration for the photo being addressed. I typed 8 in the box, unchecked the "Applies to all clips" and clicked "Done". The photo remained at 12 sec. Seems nothing Ido can change the duration of the photo in the movie

poppi

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    Your Transitions are far too long for a 6 second photo. Look up Transitions in iMovie Help and click on "To set how much transitions overlap with adjacent clips" to see how the Transition affects the clip length. I've been trying to get a 6 second photo and the nearest I can get is 5.9 or 6.4 using a 1 second transition.

iMovie editing
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Your Transitions are far too long for a 6 second photo. Look up Transitions in iMovie Help and click on "To set how much transitions overlap with adjacent clips" to see how the Transition affects the clip length. I've been trying to get a 6 second photo and the nearest I can get is 5.9 or 6.4 using a 1 second transition.
    This appears to have been the problem. I changed my transitions to 1 second and the photo durations are near whatever I set +/- a small scatter

Thank you

Thread Information