New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD and or files do not show up in Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vitaminpurple

vitaminpurple is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone
I don't know exactly how to title the problem I am finding so I'll try to explain it as best as possible. I am using a late 2009 i-mac with Mountain Lion.

I have been working with dvd-rs containing video footage that I am editing and burning onto dvd. Most of the time its a piece of cake. I right click on the dvd that shows up on my desktop and open the vob files with mpeg streamclip for editing purposes. Lately a few dvd-rs I have been given have shown up on the desktop but when I right click on the dvd, the files for the dvd are not showing up (but I do know for a fact they are on there). And in a rare occasion the dvd isn't showing up on the desktop at all.

My solutions have been to either use an older model dvd burner in which case the dvd may sometimes show to which I use a program to make an iso of the disc and then open it. I have also used my girlfriend's older mac laptop which has snow leopard which not only shows the disc but the files as well when right clicked no problem. Her computer has crapped out so I no longer have that option. I have done many google searches which suggest using disc utility but none of the suggestions have gotten me any were.

Has this happened to anyone before? i am wondering what it is that could be possibly causing the problem.

thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Your internal DVD drive may be going south. It happens.

Fortunately, an external USB DVD drive is fairly inexpensive and just about any unit out there will work just fine with your iMac. Here's an example:

Amazon.com: ASUS External Slim 8X DVD-RW Stylish Cut Design Optical Drive SDRW-08D2S-U/BLK/G/AS: Computers & Accessories

The tray loading drives tend to hold up a lot longer than slot-loading drives. You may find that an external works a whole lot better overall.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
vitaminpurple

hey..thanks for the response..the internal has gone south in that i can't burn with it anymore..But this is a brand new LG Blu Ray burner I'm using it in. I've tried the discs in that one, the internal one and an older model Sony burner. The disc shows up when when you right click on it there are no files. Its very strange..

I may need a program like isobuster that works for mac, but I'm still wondering if there is a setting in the Mac that needs to be changed tnow that I have upgraded to Mountain Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
vitaminpurple

to expound a little further..when I open up toast, I can copy the disc no problem but I can't make an iso or toast image as it shows there is no data on the disc with either one of those options..
QUOTE Thanks
vitaminpurple

so what I've realized is that the permissions for this disc are showing that I have no access..no idea why that would be..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« subtitles | Blueray authoring software for mac »