New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

A question about the Apple A1023 iSight webcam

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tevie View Post
So a web cam for 20 and a firewire adapter for another 20 or so doesn't seem such a bad deal after all, lol
Yes...I was going to mention that (since I didn't know the cost of a Logitech C920 in the UK). That if the older iSight camera + adapter was significantly less...then it may fine for your needs.

The C920 is a higher end web cam...there may be less expensive one's as well.

Here's a C920 on e-Bay UK for 41 with 11.5 hours remaining (supposed to be brand new):

Logitech C920 Webcam - USB 2.0 15 Megapixel Interpolated 1920 x 1080 Video... 054651076624 | eBay

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Pigoo3 ... or may I call you Nick?
I don't seem to have any such icons. I have tried to take a screenshot to post on here but whatever I do, the Preview screen just shows a mass of HTML. I have uploaded the image to photobucket and tried all 4 options with the same result.

Top right. See image . . . .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

5tevie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.

Thanks for that, Mac. Sadly, the forum says that I have to spread the love around before I can add to Nick's reputation.

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Thanks for the link, Nick.
Here's another Logitech web cam that still has 4 hours to run. This one is a C910 which I believe is also Mac friendly.
Logitech Webcam | eBay

Any opinions?

The trouble with letting people like me loose on the interweb with a debit card is that I now have the latest Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM, 320 HDD and OS X 10.6.5 all wired up to a 70" LED screen ...... And not the faintest idea of how to use it.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Firstly, I would recommend you do a search for any webcam you want to buy in conjunction with the term "Mac". In this case "Logitech C910 Mac" and you would find links such as:

HD Pro Webcam C910 sofware for Mac - Page 3 - Logitech Forums

I only looked at that one page which is now 2 years old - so you might want to check out later pages to see if Logitech ever fixed those issues.

Second - try a search for "Mac webcams". On the first page of returns - at the top of the page click on the "Search Tools" button and change 'Anytime' to 'Past month' or 'Past Year' to find items relevant to a newer Mac running a current version of OS X.

I would also suggest you search at Amazon - reviews there can be quite helpful.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Update ..... After all that debating about which web cam to get, I got this one.

Apple isight webcam | eBay

It may not be the latest model but at least there is no faffing about. Just plug it in (with the firewire adapter in place) and off you go.
Thanks for all your help, guys.
Steve

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice that you got the original box & everything!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

Oh, and the Firewire 400 to 800 adapter was 5.29 from a company called Neet Cables.

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Oh, and the Firewire 400 to 800 adapter was 5.29 from a company called Neet Cables.
That sounds MUCH better...and a price I would have much more expected. That other price for the adapter was insane!

Lots of folks on the internet selling low-cost (but still serviceable) cables & adapters. Sounds like you found such a place.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
5tevie

The crazy thing is that if you look on the eBay.co.uk auction site you find examples of these adapters, identical in every way, both with free postage, and both being sold from England and one will cost 4.95 and one will cost anything up to 35.95. I'd love to know what the difference is supposed to be.

By the way, besides the little adapter to plug into the back of my Mac Mini, I also bought a 3 metre cable with a plug at one end that slots into my Firewire port and has a socket at the other end that accepts the 400 plug at the end of the camera lead.
All in all, a good couple of days, lol

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The crazy thing is that if you look on the eBay.co.uk auction site you find examples of these adapters, identical in every way, both with free postage, and both being sold from England and one will cost 4.95 and one will cost anything up to 35.95. I'd love to know what the difference is supposed to be.
No real explanations for the price differences/range. I see that sort of thing all the time. Just have to be a "savvy shopper" (research thoroughly before purchasing)...which you did.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« choosing backup method for 25 day 4k shoot | iMac and 4k video »