New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Software for Authoring DVD with menus and chapters

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yte_Kght

Yte_Kght is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15.3 Retina Display

All,

My goal is to create a DVD for a dance show that I recorded for a local dance company.

Here is what I have done so far.

1. I have imported the recording from the camcorder into iMovie
2. Added chapter markers at appropriate points as needed.
3. 'Exported' the movie in the HD 1080 format
4. I see the .mov file in the destination folder and can play it through QuickTime and see the chapter markers as I setup.

I now need help with the next step of creating/authoring the DVD. I have downloaded the iskysoft DVD creator app and am trying to use it to create the DVD. I can import the movie into iskysoft. While I can play the entire movie, it looks like the chapter information is not getting carried over.

I have tried to create the menu, and see the beginning of the recording. I cannot seem to manually add the chapters even i wanted to manually do so all over again.

Any suggestions ..?

If iskysoft is not the best product for what I am trying to do, is there an alternative I can use on a trial basis. I am not opposed to buying a product. I just want to make sure it works and does what I want before I invest.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Have a look at Burn. It has DVD themes and using Menuedit from the extras menu on the website you can create your own.

One thing to note, due to the limitations of the format your finished DVD won't be HD

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Yte_Kght

Tried a few different DVD authoring tools, none really offered the capability to pick up the chapters as recorded in iMovie or intuitively manually add them in. Most required me to break the recording into individual section and repackage them again. Sees a little counter intuitive to me .. but hey .. life goes on.

Consider this sacrilege, but I went back to Movie Plus on the PC and got the job done .. :-(

Nick
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

iMovie was originally designed to use iDVD for burning DVDs, and discs burned that way would show the Chapters. I've just tried Burn and Toast, and neither show the Chapters.
QUOTE Thanks
Yte_Kght

Unfortunate ... looks like DVD's are going to be obsolete soon.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD shrink | How to make back up on Imovie (I only manage to back up my finnished projects) ? »