New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Movie/Audio editing software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jdb19

Jdb19 is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some mid level capable video editing software that I can use on my my macbook pro - version 10.6.8 that is also capable of audio editing. Also, I would really like the software to have the capability to convert video files as well, specifically from AVI to mp4 or any format usable with the video editing software. I am also willing to upgrade my OS if that is necessary or purchase a separate converter but there has to be something out there that does both well?(including audio editing) If it is the best deal to get a video/audio editer and video converter separate I would do that but I am in a position to be money concious. Any help would be appreciated and if you could include prices/links that would be a bonus.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Jdb19

Jdb19 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, chas_m you have been especially helpful
QUOTE Thanks
chrisking198810

chrisking198810 is on a distinguished road

I'm searching a proper one for me on my MacPro 10.8.
QUOTE Thanks
RangerJet

RangerJet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Any MacBook Pro newer than 2008 should be running Mountain Lion, so I'd suggest that.

For conversions, I'd suggest the $10 iFFmpeg or the $15 Permute. They can handle audio conversions as well.

For video editing, the iMovie you have is probably sufficient, though I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version. You can also look at Final Cut Pro X ($200) or Adobe Premiere Elements or Pro ($100-300).

For audio editing, it greatly depends on what level we're talking here. You can do basic audio editing in Garageband, but I much prefer Amadeus Pro ($40 I think) or Sound Studio 4 (about the same price), and there are other options too.
I need some similar software, but I thought iMovie only records video....I didn't know you can load full vids into iMovie.... ? Is that right?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Thinking about the wrong software. iMovie is not recorder. It is a video editing app. You have to import your own video into it.

iLife - iMovie- Turn your home video into your favorite films.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Buc021

Buc021 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13 i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
For audio editing, it greatly depends on what level we're talking here. You can do basic audio editing in Garageband, but I much prefer Amadeus Pro ($40 I think) or Sound Studio 4 (about the same price), and there are other options too.
I use Audacity (free) for audio editing. It has a number of effects which are very useful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac bu-ray for front row | Video editing app for iPad »