New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD Ripping & Burning - Help Please

Thread Closed

Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Hello,

I am looking to rip DVDs (that I own of course) and then burn them for back up copies.

I did use the search feature but didn't find quite what I was looking for.

Could someone please explain the best programs to rip DVDs then burn them to blanks? I'm hoping for free programs to begin with.

Secondly, do I need DVD+R or DVD-R? What's the difference?

Thanks again - Jeremy

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Mac the Ripper for ripping the DVDs to your harddrive.

This will leave you with two folders: Video_TS and Audio_TS, these can be burned with Disk Utility as a CD/DVD Master. However, most DVDs are more than 4.7GB (dual layer), and need to be "shrunk" or compressed. This is where you have to start paying $. (I've never seen a free one)

DVD2ONEX can shrink a DVD down to 4.7GB. This leaves you with two NEW folders, still named Video_TS and Audio_TS, which can then be burned with DiskUtility. DVD2ONEX is $30, however.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
KLank

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
DVD2ONEX can shrink a DVD down to 4.7GB. This leaves you with two NEW folders, still named Video_TS and Audio_TS, which can then be burned with DiskUtility. DVD2ONEX is $60, however.
You can also use Roxio Popcorn which is $50.
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

i feel that the small investment it took for me to run toast 7 and mactheripper was worth every penny, so dont be shy about spending a few pennies backing up all your important media.

also, i dont think you searched hard enough.
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For me MacTheRipper and Toast 7 are very nice together. That way MacTheRipper rips the DVD and then Toast does both the shrinking to fit on a normal 4.7GB DVD and Burning in one step. I agree with Coach z on that. Very good combo plus you have a great burning program also that will handle all your burning needs.
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

I use a combo of MacTheRipper and Popcorn.
Jeremy W

Jeremy W will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" iMac G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach_z
i feel that the small investment it took for me to run toast 7 and mactheripper was worth every penny, so dont be shy about spending a few pennies backing up all your important media.

also, i dont think you searched hard enough.
-chris

You're correct, I didn't search hard enough. I put a few different combos in and didn't find what I wanted. Then posted the question. Finally, I went back and searched "ripper" that was where I found the info.

Another question. Does my Mac have just a standard burning application built into it? Other than the burning iTunes and iDVD will do?

Oh, and, aahh, I'm going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too...yeah
johninc

Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W
You're correct, I didn't search hard enough. I put a few different combos in and didn't find what I wanted. Then posted the question. Finally, I went back and searched "ripper" that was where I found the info.

Another question. Does my Mac have just a standard burning application built into it? Other than the burning iTunes and iDVD will do?
You can use Disk Utility to burn images. But for Burning a DVD I think you might be able to use Burn Folders but I've never tried it.
Phantom

Handbrake is the best option that is free click here or roxio toast 7 but you have to buy it
thelox714

thelox714 is on a distinguished road

here's what you'll need... nice guide that got me on my way..

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125996

may also want to check out..

http://www.ripdifferent.com

you can always just PM me...
Magic Wok

I'll have to echo the sentiments of Handbrake... I found it on my own, after a long time of searching. But it really is great and it is 100% free.

Why so great? Well it is able to backup virtualy any DVD regardless of region or any RCE encoding, and outputs to AVI in XVid or h.264 in various degree's of quality, from highly compressed to extreme quality, also including a good 2-pass feature to eliminate blockiness from high speed sequences. This also means that you can back up your DVD's to your iPod Video. Also, it's all-in-one, meaning you don't have to mess with various programs and saves you a lot of hastle

It also has some fantastic other features, such as being able to let handbrake automatically set the quality level to a desired file size. Splitting a movie into 2 halves, and cropping. It's constantly being developed and has a good active dev team. Although this program doesn't copy a dvd disc to disc, but what it does do is allow you to fit up to 5/6 copies of your movies onto one DVD.
chris

chris is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual Processor G5: 2x2 GHz, 30" Apple Cinema Display

I'm not concerned about free vs pay.

I just want something that is reliable.

I want to rip segments of DVDs of mine to view on my Palm TX (through TCPMP). I've tried Mac the Ripper, which crashed like crazy and when I finally got it to rip something, the file was corrupted, and couldn't be played past the first 15 seconds. I finally said **** that piece of cr*p. I guess I'll now try Handbrake, but I'm perfectly willing to purchase a good app, if that's what is needed to have a quality, reliable application. I just haven't found anything. Surely there is something out there on the market.

johninc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris

I'm not concerned about free vs pay.

I just want something that is reliable.

I want to rip segments of DVDs of mine to view on my Palm TX (through TCPMP). I've tried Mac the Ripper, which crashed like crazy and when I finally got it to rip something, the file was corrupted, and couldn't be played past the first 15 seconds. I finally said **** that piece of cr*p. I guess I'll now try Handbrake, but I'm perfectly willing to purchase a good app, if that's what is needed to have a quality, reliable application. I just haven't found anything. Surely there is something out there on the market.

DVD2OneX
Which does the same thing as MacTheRipper (Which has never crashed while I've used it) except also compresses the dvd. If your converting a movie for a palm pilot then use handbrake to convert the dvd to either mp4 or avi. By the way whats TCPMP?
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never had a problem with MacTheRipper. Not once. Only time it did not do a successful Rip was on some badly scratched DVD's I was trying to save for friends. They were so bad, no drive in the house would read them without errors. MacTheRipper is a very stable program. I don't know what is going on with yours. I have used it on everything from a G4-500 to iMac G5 2.1Ghz iSight.
chris

chris is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual Processor G5: 2x2 GHz, 30" Apple Cinema Display

johninc

TCPMP is The Core Pocket Media Player for Palm. It beats the cr*p out of the media player that comes with Palm.

http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about

dtravis7

People here seem to be big defenders of MacTheRipper. The first time I installed it, it crashed on launch three times. I then dumped it, reinstalled it, and had the problems I mentioned above. On a Palm site I post to, a few people expressed stability problems with it, and recommended using Handbrake instead. I'm on a G5 Dual processor, though I doubt it's a hardware issue. Maybe I just had the rare bad experience. Glad it works for you.

Thread Closed

« Need some help with imovie 08' | iMovie 08 - Ken Burns Effect question »