Flitwick, Beds, UK
    MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
    downloading you-tube videos
    hi everyone, a few minutes ago i felt VERY pleased with myself when i found i could easily Download You-Tube videos !!

Is this practice frowned upon ?, or possibly ILLEGAL ?.

I found a you-tube video that i wanted a friend of mine to watch, but he lives in a country where YouTube is banned by the Internet Providers in this country.

So i downloaded the Video and uploaded it to my web space and sent him a link to that video file !, so am i NOW likely to be locked up ?, i guess everybody does this ANYWAY !

the video showing you how to do it, is on YOUTUBE anyway !!!!

27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    From my, non-lawyer perspective, each use of YouTube that uploads a video holds a copyright to the video unless they are uploading someone else's copyrighted material or are putting it up as public domain.

Enough times people will put up a video they have no rights to and YouTube has been given a take down order due to copyright violation. That being the case, downloading these types of videos is also a copyright violation..

Just because people put something up on YouTube (even downloading YouTube videos) doesn't make it OK or allowed..

People have put up full movies on YouTube in 10 min segments and those have been taken down quickly, that's a clear copyright violation right there..

So use your best judgement when it comes to these things..

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Read the following article: LINK

As far as downloading a video and providing it for a friend who lives in a country where it is illegal, my advice would be not to do it. I doubt a foreign government would come after you for that, but why take a chance?

Flitwick, Beds, UK
    MBP 15" + iPhone 5S
    OK LADS thank you very much for that information, a definite an eye-opener to me, i shall play by the rules in future, i dont want/need any trouble

Thread Information