New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Export settings for small size yet good quality .mov files in iMovie 11?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

louzdelaluna

louzdelaluna is on a distinguished road

Hello!

For work I have created a Photo Story with iMovie 11 and finalized my project, then tried to upload it on Vimeo but the quality was awful.

Basically I need to do two things:
1) Upload it on Vimeo
2) Create a file small enough to be shared by email (or Drop Box, but still managebale for people who have low speed internet connection)

In both case I need good quality yet not too heavy exports, and it seems iMovie really ***** at that...

Would you be kind enough to advise me on the export settings (under Quick Time movie export) to choose in each case for an optimum result?

Thank you very much in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

How long is this movie you've created?
QUOTE Thanks
louzdelaluna

It is actually a Photo Story (series of photos with music & sounds on them), and the total length is 10mn.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

What was the resolution of the original photos? Try using the Export Movie option in iMovie's Share menu and choose the larger size options. That'll give you an m4v file using h264 which should give you good quality. At only 10 mins, it should fit Vimeo's 500Mb limit for a basic account.
QUOTE Thanks
louzdelaluna

Thank you very much! That is what I did indeed, and yes I can upload it on Vimeo, but it takes quite some time to buffer when you watch the video and my colleagues in Nagaland don't really have a good connection...

Also, the size of that file (300MB) is definitely too heavy for them to download...

So I really need to find a way to export my movie in a small size file (say 30MB) while keeping a decent quality; which I haven't been able to do so far...
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
but it takes quite some time to buffer when you watch the video
Yes, that will be related to both the quality setting, and hence the file size, of the video and the speed of the internet connection.

Quote:
So I really need to find a way to export my movie in a small size file (say 30MB) while keeping a decent quality; which I haven't been able to do so far...
Unfortunately you won't. The smaller the file size, the worse the quality.
QUOTE Thanks
louzdelaluna

OK... Thank you anyway :-)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« idvd lost when upgraded to Lion | downloading you-tube videos »