New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

transferring videos from iphone 5 to imovie HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Vinniecole

Vinniecole is on a distinguished road

Iv taken movies on my iphone the correct way up. When i view them in quicktime they are also the correct way up. when i transfer them into imovie HD they are now 90deg anticlockwise. Is there any reason behind this? and if so how do i sort it out?

Thanks in advance, Vinnie
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iMovie HD is ancient and cannot handle vertical movies. It's looking for standard horizontal formats (4:3, 16:9, that sort of thing).

Use a different video editor program or a newer iMovie.
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

a ha, that makes sense! thanks for the reply.

as you can probably figure, my machine is pretty ancient too - ibook g4 running 10.4.11, so the option of a newer version of imovies is not going to work (i think)

is there any other software that i could download and use? i dont really use my laptop much, mainly to store music and photos as i use my iphone for most other things, so thats the reason why its almost a relic lol
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Get iMovie for the iPhone.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

the issue with that is - i can guess is this.

As my iphone is a 5 (modern) and laptop is an ibook (literally an O.A.P) they are not compatible. So the only reason i managed to get my movies and pics across from A - B in the first place was via dropbox (as they wont sync). If i used imovei to edit and make a movie on my iphone, i guess i wont be able to transfer that across in any way to then burn it onto a dvd on my machine
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Vertical videos? Only one solution I'm afraid:
Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniecole View Post
the issue with that is - i can guess is this.

As my iphone is a 5 (modern) and laptop is an ibook (literally an O.A.P) they are not compatible. So the only reason i managed to get my movies and pics across from A - B in the first place was via dropbox (as they wont sync). If i used imovei to edit and make a movie on my iphone, i guess i wont be able to transfer that across in any way to then burn it onto a dvd on my machine
Still use Dropbox... then once on the laptop, burn it to DVD.

However, the most important thing to take from all of this is DONT SHOOT VERTICALLY!

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Vertical videos? Only one solution I'm afraid:
Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube
hahahaha that cracked me up. point taken. i always presumed that was the way to record movies, reason being is when you do it the 'correct' way when you watch it it always goes small on the phone - but logically i now can see that when its now on a screen it will be correct. point taken though and lesson learnt. cheers for your answers guys
QUOTE Thanks
Vinniecole

will dropbox actually transfer it in a complete movie file which can then be opened and read?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The real solution here is to get your hands on a Mac made during this century, preferably this decade, even if only temporarily. Your long-term solution to this problem is also "get a newer Mac." Anything from 2009 and up should be great.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
will dropbox actually transfer it in a complete movie file which can then be opened and read?
Yes. When you email a link to the file in Dropbox, the recipient usually gets the option to either play it and/or download it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can't get rid of my camcorder videos | CPU temp 205 F using Handbrake »