New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie/Mac won't recognise video files from Sony

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Neurotic

Neurotic is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to import the videos from my Sony HDR-cx130 camera to my Macbook however no matter how much I try it just wont work. I've tried connecting it via the USB on the cam or putting the memory card in the card reader in my computer. The JPEG's I've taken with my camera appear, but none of the video files. Does anyone have a clue as to how to fix this? It's super frustrating!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

That's Sony for you ... (seriously, they work long and hard at making sure their products don't work well with Macs!)

If you have any info from your manual about exactly what format these video files are in, that would be helpful. Are they visible at all when you mount the memory card in the card reader?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Are you trying to use iMovie with it? If so iMovie11 won't recognise the 1080/60 footage.
Apple - iLife '11 Help - iMovie '11 Supported Cameras
QUOTE Thanks
Neurotic

I actually have no clue what format its in :3 Can I figure it out from my camera? I think it said the camera compatible with Mac on the box however the Picture Motion Browser (software in the box) isn't.

I'm using iPhoto and iMovie. I don't really need iMovie as I never thought of editing my videos or anything (though would be nice) but I just want them imported onto my laptop so I can then store them in my hard drive. The memory card in the camera is only 32GB and it gets full often. It's such a hassle to go look for a PC to download them there then in a Windows only compatible hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
Laura RaRa

Laura RaRa is on a distinguished road

I've just moved over from PC to Mac and had this problem with an old Sony Camera and Windows Movie Maker. I could only get Sony to take videos into the old movie maker.

EDIT : Downloaded a movie from a Sony Cybershot old camera and it goes to my MAC OSX in MPG form and does transfer fine to IMovie. So, better than Windows by a mile. Well done Mac!

So, lets just say if you can get movies to MAC in MPG you should have no problems. It downloads to Quicktime player first btw. Make sure you have Quicktime installed and that may help you.
QUOTE Thanks
Neurotic

I think the footage is 1080i/50i + AVCHD :/?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If you've checked on the link I supplied earlier, you'll know that iMovie doesn't support video from your camcorder at 50/60p. It says here that it's 1080/50p, not i as you've indicated.
Sony HDR-CX130 Specifications | Digital Trends Reviews

To get your video suitable for iMovie try the method in this link:
Edit 1080/50p and burn a disk
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best hi quality multiple webcam recording software? | Torrents for Mac »