New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Exporting from imovie to superdrive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dgm2112

dgm2112 is on a distinguished road

I have downloaded videos from my camcorder into imovie. How do I get them to my superdrive so I can burn them on a dvd. I have tried several things but the movies are always grayed out. I couldnt wait to get my new imac and now im getting annoyed.
Also can someone recommend a cord for transfering video and audia via RCA to USB.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Which iMovie are you using? You need to a Project from your imported videos and then use the Share menu. If you have iDVD on your Mac, you can use that to create a video dvd that should play in standard dvd players. If you don't have iDVD then you can use the free App, Burn.
Burn - Home

If you don't want playable video dvd, but just want to produce a video file to burn to a dvd so that it can be played on a computer using something like Quicktime, then using the Share menu again, use the Export Movie option.

Quote:
Also can someone recommend a cord for transfering video and audia via RCA to USB.
What do you want to transfer video and audio to/from?
QUOTE Thanks
Mazdax605

Mazdax605 is on a distinguished road

Okay so I am getting really fed up with this. I too have had many troubles with my 06 iMac recently,, and just went out and bought a brand new 21.5 iMac today. I have been trying to burn a imovie slideshow to a dvd to show at my sons cubscout meeting tonight,and I have done everything the mac experst have said, but it still wont burn in a way that I can play it on my dvd player. It seems I am doing it right by exporting the imovie slideshow to my desktop a quicktime file, and then burning it from there to my superdrive that I purchased with the computer. I finalized the project, and am using DVD-R discs. Any help?

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

The latest Macs don't come with software for burning video dvds, which is what you want. They used to come with iDVD which did this, but Apple stopped including it on new Macs a year or two ago. All you can do is burn data dvds, which as you've found out don't play in dvd players, but they will play on a computer using Quicktime or similar.

To make a video dvd try the free Burn. Export the slideshow from iMovie as before and then use that Quicktime file. Just make sure that you do choose the video dvd option.
Burn - Home

Lastly, there is no need to finalize an iMovie Project. All that does is just make copies of your movie in every resolution that it supports, and makes them available to other Apps via the Media Browser. If you don't need that, then don't bother.

Last
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FCP X On An External Drive | Help with FCP X »