Specs:
    Macbook Pro, 2.8, 15" Retina, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM.
    Alternative offline viewers
    Hey, I just bought a rMBP recently. Since it doesn't have a DVD player, I would prefer to download movies for offline viewing when I travel. Are there any alternatives to iTunes for offline viewing on the rMBP?

Thank you

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's not legal to "rip" movie DVDs to your hard drive in the US (yeah, sucks to be you!) so that's not an option, and I don't know of any movie services other than iTunes that offer offline viewing. Does Amazon offer it? If anyone would, I would think it would be them.

At any rate, iTunes might be your best option anyway. They are WAY cheaper than the video stores for rentals, you have the option of HD on that gorgeous rMBP and they let you hold onto the file for up to 30 days before you start watching.

Specs:
    Well, the rMBP doesn't have an optical drive, so I couldn't rip them even if I wanted to. I thought Amazon would, so I tried them first. Don't see a MAC option. I may be stuck with my Android tablet on this one.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Mac owners are still second rate citizens with Amazon - no downoading. Although, they did jump on the iPad bandwagon straight away.

Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android app for their own devices, can't even stream to any other Android device.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Actually, now that you mention it, on my Xoom tablet, I don't have the Amazon download option, I have to use Google Play. On a Windows machine, there is an Amazon option, and it's about a dollar a movie less.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android device, can't even stream to any other Android device.
    Fixed that for you.

From the sounds of it, iTunes probably is your best bet. It certainly has a more accessible offline selection than other services which predominately depend on streaming as the method of delivery. Is there any particular reason you don't want to use iTunes?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    Mostly the cost. iTunes is about a dollar more a movie. Not that I rent movies often for download anymore, but if I have a cross country flight, that's when I do that. Just looking for a cheaper option that works on a Mac.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Ah, finally thought of another option: Vudu. I don't know much about it, but it offers rental of HD movies.

Thread Information