New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Alternative offline viewers

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mdurkin

mdurkin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.8, 15" Retina, 500 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM.

Hey, I just bought a rMBP recently. Since it doesn't have a DVD player, I would prefer to download movies for offline viewing when I travel. Are there any alternatives to iTunes for offline viewing on the rMBP?

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

It's not legal to "rip" movie DVDs to your hard drive in the US (yeah, sucks to be you!) so that's not an option, and I don't know of any movie services other than iTunes that offer offline viewing. Does Amazon offer it? If anyone would, I would think it would be them.

At any rate, iTunes might be your best option anyway. They are WAY cheaper than the video stores for rentals, you have the option of HD on that gorgeous rMBP and they let you hold onto the file for up to 30 days before you start watching.
QUOTE Thanks
mdurkin

Well, the rMBP doesn't have an optical drive, so I couldn't rip them even if I wanted to. I thought Amazon would, so I tried them first. Don't see a MAC option. I may be stuck with my Android tablet on this one.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Mac owners are still second rate citizens with Amazon - no downoading. Although, they did jump on the iPad bandwagon straight away.

Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android app for their own devices, can't even stream to any other Android device.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
mdurkin

Actually, now that you mention it, on my Xoom tablet, I don't have the Amazon download option, I have to use Google Play. On a Windows machine, there is an Amazon option, and it's about a dollar a movie less.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Android owners are even lower class citizens. Even though they have an Android device, can't even stream to any other Android device.
Fixed that for you.

From the sounds of it, iTunes probably is your best bet. It certainly has a more accessible offline selection than other services which predominately depend on streaming as the method of delivery. Is there any particular reason you don't want to use iTunes?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
mdurkin

Mostly the cost. iTunes is about a dollar more a movie. Not that I rent movies often for download anymore, but if I have a cross country flight, that's when I do that. Just looking for a cheaper option that works on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Ah, finally thought of another option: Vudu. I don't know much about it, but it offers rental of HD movies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Final Cut Pro X vs Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 | Saving iDVD movies »