New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

m4v movie format

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tedwathen

tedwathen is on a distinguished road

I just edited movies in the .mov format on iMovie and went to the "Share" dropdown and moved the finished movie to another folder. The finished movies are in the m4v format. I can't open them. I get an announcement stating I have a license error stating:"mocha AE CS6 must be launched from After Effects". I have done nothing to these movies using After Effects, nor do I own the software. I'm on Mountain Lion. Does anyone have any tips on what to do to see these movies and share them with non-Mac viewers?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Rename them to .mp4 and try to play them.

Post back with your results

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
tedwathen

tedwathen is on a distinguished road

Thanks!!! Changing file name from .m4v to .mp4 did the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Good stuff. They are one in the same file format you must just have something unusual set to try and open m4v files

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Greenmanwest

Greenmanwest is on a distinguished road

The simpler solution is just to change the file association for .m4v files. Select the file in your finder, right click on it and select "get info". Then go down to where it says "open with" and extend the menu. Choose the program that you wish to use to open .m4v files. While still on the info panel, click the "change all" button. This will tell your Mac that you want all m4v files to open with the program you have just selected. On my Mac, I use VLC to view movies.
If you only want to open a single file, without changing all your file associations, right click on your video file and choose the "open in" option, and you will be able to select the program to open the file.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's an 18 month old thread, however. The op wanted to share the files. So changing the file association wasn't appropriate in this instance

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie Won't Launch | Playing back parts of video »