New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

best freeware MPG to AVI converter...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

I have transferred quite a lot of old VHS-tapes to digital, using a media box. The files are in MPG-format, and play well on both Windows and iMac, using QuickTime, Flip Player etc. These all appear to use the proper audio codec.

However, if I import it in Adobe Premiere Elements, the video is ok, but there is no sound. I assume that Premiere is missing the particular audio codec.

With HandBrake I can convert and get the sound, but the MKV format it yields does not run/edit well in the APE editor. So I want to convert the MPG to AVI, with minimal loss of quality.

Does anyone know of a good freeware MPG to AVI converter? I searched and tried a few I found on the Internet, but although they seem to be freeware, they are not. There must be some around...

Or, failing that.... anyone knowing what to do to get more audio codecs for APE?

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

There are several layers here.

Firstly, the 'media box' you've used seems to be using a non standard mpeg format. mpeg1 and mpeg2 are an industry standard and Premiere is more than capable of dealing with these.

However, as your video is now in this, particular take on the, mpg format you need to be converting it to a lossless (or near lossless) format. Converting to one of the codecs that can be packaged into and AVI will degrade the quality further so I wouldn't advise this.
I'd suggest using ffmpegx to convert to DV, but ideally I'd capture from the original source in a lossless format prior to editing then export to mp4 etc

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

The media box I used does not allow for setting of the recording format. So unless I invest in other hardware, the mpg it delivers is what I have to deal with.

I downloaded ffmpegX, and the relevant tools, and it works fine. Converting the mpg to AVI yields a file that Premiere loads, including sound, and that is what I wanted. However, ffmpegX is offering many options, and I need to play with it a bit more, to get a feel of what is best format/setting. I need not the very best quality, the source is over 20 years old VHS, and whatever is on it is 99% sentimental value. If I show my wife the recording of our (now adult) sons when they were just born, her eyes are brimming with tears anyway, so that's a de-noising filter I need not have available in the software..

But so far, so good.

Thanks for your reply,

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I don't remember if ffmpegX has this option, but the command line version of ffmpeg I've used on Linux has a 2-pass option that ensures that the video is pretty good on the other side. If you have that option on ffmpegX, you should enable it..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« screen too dark on macbook pro | video editing software for mac »