New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Entering Old Film Serials Into iTunes 11

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brooklynguy

Location: Born in Brooklyn, bred in Manhattan, living in Vermont
Brooklynguy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, 27, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10

iMac Mid-2011
OS 10.8
iTunes 11

Et Al:
I have downloaded a public domain film from archive.org, The Vanishing Shadow, a film serial in 12 episodes. I have added this to my iTunes movie library with each chapter as its own MP4 file.
The problem is that whether I enter all the common-for-the-film and the individual chapter info into the Info tab, or the film name and chapter name and number in the Video tab, I get 12 separate "films" in iTunes. I also tried this as a compilation to no avail.
I want the chapters to be in one movie name much like music tracks are under one album name. Any thoughts are welcomed.

BG

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10 (14A389)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, black, 5-on-the-floor, ragtop
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The best approach, I think, would be to combine the 12 chapters into a single movie with chapter markers. You can do this in iMovie (and might be able to do it in MPEG Streamclip as well, I haven't tried). Save the 12 chapters as a single MP4 film with the markers, then add it to iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

On the Info tab:

They need to have the identical same Album name and Artist name

For all of them - Disc Number - 1 of 1
Track number - 1,2,3,etc of you can leave this 2nd field blank

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

Mac Specs: iMac, 27, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10

bobtomay: I had tried what you suggested before my original question, although I can't swear I entered the Disc Number. Thanks anyway though.

BG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
On the Info tab:

They need to have the identical same Album name and Artist name

For all of them - Disc Number - 1 of 1
Track number - 1,2,3,etc of you can leave this 2nd field blank

iMac, 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB, OS X 10.10 (14A389)
QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

chas_m:

I have iMovie, so I'll give that a try and post my success or lack thereof.

What does marking chapters actually do when playing the movie?

BG

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only downloaded a few movies - no serials - from archive.org. I'll download some and see if I can't figure some way to do it without the need for heading into iMovie and spending the time to re-encode them all. Have several TV shows in iTunes like that, so there's bound to be a way to get your own videos in a Season through the settings.

QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

bobtomay - You're right. I have some purchased tv shows and each season encorporates all episodes together. I did look at how they were set up in Info, but I couldn't get it to work fr me.

Actually I don't mind using chas_m's idea. I love that kind of work, so using iMovie or Wondershare is no trouble for me. (Brings to mind my programming/coding days.)

BG

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Found the way to do it.

Need to change the 'Media Kind' to 'TV Show' under the Options tab in Get Info.
Didn't try it by moving to Movies.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 8.36.22 PM.png (351.1 KB, 15 views)

QUOTE Thanks
Brooklynguy

So I gather that iTunes treats TV Shows and Movies in different ways. Interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
Found the way to do it.

Need to change the 'Media Kind' to 'TV Show' under the Options tab in Get Info.
Didn't try it by moving to Movies.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yep, iTunes auto imported them into Home Videos - none of the settings worked there - but as soon as I moved them to TV Shows they appeared correctly.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie Won't Display Imported Videos | Imovie 11 Clip adjustment doesn't work »