New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Converting Video Tape to Digital Format?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hello guys,

I have a slight dilemma in the fact that our old family video's are beginning to look/sound as though they are going to snap. Which would be bad (they were shot back in the day when VHS was the daddy lol).

Now is there a low cost way for me to hook up a VCR to my computer, import the video and digitally enhance it (take out some jumps/flickers, adjust colour etc etc...) and transfer it to DVD?

Regards,

Chris :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If you have a miniDV camera, you can use it as a bridge (analog/digital) between your VCR and computer.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If you have a miniDV camera, you can use it as a bridge (analog/digital) between your VCR and computer.
I don't have a MiniDV Camera but i can borrow my sisters, how does this bridging work? do i need any more cables or can i simply use what i have (i.e. the cables that come with the camera...

Regards,

Chris. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChris
I don't have a MiniDV Camera but i can borrow my sisters, how does this bridging work? do i need any more cables or can i simply use what i have (i.e. the cables that come with the camera...

Regards,

Chris. :mac:
You wil need a firewire cable to go from the camera to the computer.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

If the camera is like mine. All of the cables came with the camera except for the firewire cable. What type of camera does your sister have?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

I used an eyetv wonder to convert all my vhs to digital. 100. did the job.
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman
If the camera is like mine. All of the cables came with the camera except for the firewire cable. What type of camera does your sister have?
She has a Sony Mini DV Camera, not 100% sure on the model but i think its either the DCR-HC30e or one very similar.

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

Hopefully the camera have a firewire port. I believe it is iLink on the Sony. I have a Canon, I connect to both the VCR and computer. Turn the camera on in VCR mode. Then change a setting (turn on the AV/DV option). Then you start the iMovie application. Near the botom left of the screen in Imovie, you should see a sissor and acamera icon. Select the camera side of the toggle switch. You should be in import mode now. Press play on the VCR and press the import button in iMovie. You will need to set the proper setting on your VCR to get the data out to the camera (line settings).

QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

Thanks for the walkthrough rman :mac:

The camera does have a firewire port on it because i have used it before to do some filming for a project.

One more question,

The only MAC i currently own (because i havent got enough for an iMac yet ) is a 12" iBook G4 with no DVD-RW drive.

Now i can borrow a friends external LiteOn DVD-RW drive but can i plug that in to my iBook and burn from iMovie?

If i remember correctly i had problems doing this in the past in the fact that iMovie, iDVD etc etc.. just would not acknowledge the external drive was there at all!

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

With PatchBurn and iDVD. You should be able to create a DVD. That is after you imported the material into your system with iMovie and finish editting it.

QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Thanks a lot for the walkthrough. How is the quality when running it through the miniDV? I use Final Cut Pro to capture off of the camcorder all the time, but I've never done it with VHS tapes. I've been considering purchasing a tape deck (makes sense for me anyways, I'm slowly building up a video studio), but if this offers fair quality, might as well save money for a bit...
QUOTE Thanks
rman

I am not sure of the quality, yet. I have only done this one time. That was to try and get my wedding video on to my PowerBook to clean it up some more. I will have to pick up that project and complete to see the results.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video_ts folder | dvd to imovie hd or idvd »