New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Importing DVD to iMovie

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

poppi

poppi is on a distinguished road

I am completely new to iMovie so forgive me if this is a completely stupid question.

Many years ago I had 8 mm home movies transferred to VHS tape. A few years back a friend transferred the tapes to DVD. I am wondering if there is any way to get those "movies" from the DVD into iMovie. All Ican tell you about the DVD is the "format" is listed as Universal Disc Format (UDF). I am working with iMovie 9.0.4.

Help will be very appreciated

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

If the dvd is one that you can play in a dvd player, then use Handbrake which will give you a movie file which you can then import into iMovie.
HandBrake
QUOTE Thanks
poppi

poppi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
If the dvd is one that you can play in a dvd player, then use Handbrake which will give you a movie file which you can then import into iMovie.
HandBrake
Thanx MightyGem. I downloaded handbrake and tried to convert the DVD but got a message that it was not compatible with the source but it directed me to libdvdcss.pkg which I also downloaded. I then selected the DVD as the source and clicked. It tokk a full 2 hours but I ended up with an icon on the desktop titled DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER.m4v. In short, it worked. A few questions though:

The "video" seemed to be saved to iTunes and when I opened it it "played" in iTunes. Seems it should have been saved to iMovie??

Went to iMovie and clicked File > import > desktop > DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER.m4v and it did import to iMovie (took a full hour).

Another question: In my hard drive > applications I have iMovie 9.0.4. In my external hard drive I have iMovie HD 6.0.3. Should I trash the iMovie HD?

Is iMovie 9.0.4 iMovie 11? I can't find a cross reference anywhere.

Can you recommend a good reference book for iMovie?

Sorry for all the crazy questions. I am just getting my feet wet and am very ignorant.

Thank you

poppi
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iMovie 9.0.4 is iMovie 11.

Apple has extensive help files on iMovie available in the built-in help as well as on its web site. Try apple.com/ilife/imovie for starters.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
The "video" seemed to be saved to iTunes and when I opened it it "played" in iTunes.
m4v files are automatically loaded to iTunes when you open them. You can play them with Quicktime if you wish by Right/Ctrl clicking and then choosing Quicktime from the Open with... list.

iMovie does not play movie/video files without you importing them first.

If you can take the time and patience to wirk through the iMovie Help, most of what you need to know is in there.

Quote:
Should I trash the iMovie HD?
You could if you want. I have both on my Mac and have sometimes still used iMovie6HD. Although I can't remember the last time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video problem | iMovie - Green Screen Stopped Working!! »