New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie Woes... What else is out there?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msuperbauer

msuperbauer is on a distinguished road

I have always been a big fan of iMovie. I make family movies every year and love the themes, trailer templates, etc. My question is, is there anything else out there? Similar features (themes, trailers, templates, etc) I have been having the typical issues I read about here and just wonder what I would gain by purchasing a different movie editing program. What have you had experience with and please share your likes and dislikes compared to iMovie? I thought about Final Cut express but heard it was difficult to use (plus no longer available). Thank you in advance! I appreciate your help!! and Merry Christmas eve!!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I usually end up being a software buyer rather than user so probably not the person to ask. In addition to iMovie I have Final Cut Express and Adobe Premiere.

To me Final Cut is a tad harder to use, and I haven't yet tried Adobe Premiere.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
p_rod

p_rod will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir

I never really liked iMovie all that well..it just seemed to me to not be as "intuitive" as I was led to believe. It did OK, mind you, but I, like you, was looking for something different.

I recently downloaded Adobe Premier..I found a GREAT discount on it on Black Friday on the Adobe site itself so I couldn't pass it up.

I have just been 'playing' with it a little the past couple of weeks, and it is a "powerful" program, compared to iMovie. It is also not as intuitive as I'd like... but I guess as more proggies become more powerful, the intuitiveness goes away.

If my memory serves me correctly, I think there is a trial version of it available for download (I can't swear on it tho....and it was on a marathon surfing day when I found it), but just go to the Adobe site (http://www.adobecom ) and see if Premier is available on trial.

Premier received some pretty strong, positive reviews when compared to iMovie also.

I have been going to some sites on YouTube to pick up some pointers on Premier, and I must say I am pretty impressed with all the video tutorials available on the Adobe website in support of Premier.

You can set up a free account on Adobe, view the videos, and mark them as read and they are kept separate from the other tutorials there for reviewing later if you must.

If you like iMovie, I am pretty sure you will be satisfied with Adobe Premier....I haven't seen many reviews anywhere where folks are going back to iMovie once they experience Premier.

Good luck!!!!

Cheers!

Pat
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

You say you love iMovie...but are having the typical problems...? Next logical step for an upgrade would be FCP X
QUOTE Thanks
msuperbauer

msuperbauer is on a distinguished road

I actually got a packaged deal with a Cannon T3i that had the adobe premier and the photo one. I am going to give it a go. I actually have final cut pro express, but thought it was (at the time) above my head. I may try it again. My FCP-X is probably 3 years old (if that means anything) . I am going to try Premier first. Thanks for the input. I also thought I read the iMovie lowers the resolution of my videos?!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

iMovie doesn't lower the resolution of your videos UNLESS you export it for burning to DVD, whereupon it has to lower the resolution to NTSC DVD standard 720x480.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Quote:
Originally Posted by msuperbauer View Post
I actually got a packaged deal with a Cannon T3i that had the adobe premier and the photo one. I am going to give it a go. I actually have final cut pro express, but thought it was (at the time) above my head. I may try it again. My FCP-X is probably 3 years old (if that means anything) . I am going to try Premier first. Thanks for the input. I also thought I read the iMovie lowers the resolution of my videos?!
Just in case...I was referring to Final Cut Pro X ( Ten )...not Express...FCP X has a very similar interface to iMovie...yet has tremendous capabilities beyond.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« video out of sync in photo booth | ffmpeg avi to mp4 »