New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HELP: Want to share big file without jumping through hoops!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

WolfyAU82

WolfyAU82 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to copy an (approx.)11GB Quicktime (.MOV) video file that I just finished working on in iMovie to a 16GB SDHD card which is uses FAT32 and get this message ever time:

"The item “Video File” can’t be copied because it is too large for the volume's format"

I want copy this particular file so I can pass it on to someone who most likely has Windows (unsure of which version) PC. I would greatly appreciate any solutions to this particular problem.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

FAT32 has a max file limit size of 4 GB.

The only real solution if you only have access to a Mac is going to be purchasing Paragon's NTFS for Mac - $20.

This software not only will give you write access to NTFS partitions, but will also enable Disk Utility to format NTFS volumes. You should then be able to format the card as NTFS.

The other solution is to format the card as OS X Extended (Journaled) and have them grab Paragon's HFS for Windows.

Transferring a movie file that size to SD card via USB, I'd also make sure to verify it's all there and playable after the copy process has completed.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
WolfyAU82

WolfyAU82 is on a distinguished road

Computers: Big on rules. Short on mercy.
Rules... the one thing that defines an os and the experience it offers.

Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the Macintosh PC's multimedia handling capabilities - but when it comes to file transfer (particularly between systems) the MAC is down right useless by having a 4GB file size limit when copying to FAT32 media.
So a note to Apple - Ditch this restriction on your next update or version for the OS!!!

I posted this one before... I have file that is roughly 11GB that I need to pass on to someone who most likely has Windows and a FAT32 storage option that has more than enough capacity to hold it all... Without wasting hard-earned cash on software I won't use 100% of the time, can someone give me a straight up solution to this problem?

This one reason why I regard MAC second to Linux - flexible as it is efficient!
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

The 4 GB limit has nothing to do with OS X - it's a limit of the FAT32 disk format.
You'll need to install (inexpensive or free) software to enable OS X to write to the Windows proprietary format NTFS.
NTFS-3G + Ntfsprogs | Tuxera
or
Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X software
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyAU82 View Post
Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the Macintosh PC's multimedia handling capabilities - but when it comes to file transfer (particularly between systems) the MAC is down right useless by having a 4GB file size limit when copying to FAT32 media.
The 4GB limit is a limitation of the FAT32 filesystem and has nothing to do with OS X. If you want to blame someone, blame Microsoft since it's their filesystem.

Quote:
I posted this one before... I have file that is roughly 11GB that I need to pass on to someone who most likely has Windows and a FAT32 storage option that has more than enough capacity to hold it all... Without wasting hard-earned cash on software I won't use 100% of the time, can someone give me a straight up solution to this problem?
Use a better filesystem or break the file up into pieces. You could add write support for NTFS to OS X but I'll let someone else jump in for that one (having never done this myself).

Quote:
This one reason why I regard MAC second to Linux - flexible as it is efficient!
I think this might need some correction in light of your misconceptions about OS X and the FAT32 filesystem.

EDIT: gsahli's fingers are quicker than mine!

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Linux cannot write an 11 GB file to a FAT32 partition either.

Nor can Windows.

Nor does there exist any operating system that can write a single 11 GB file to FAT32.

(Merged the two threads together also.)

And if whomever you're sending the file to has installed Windows within the last 10 years, they will have the NTFS file system on their computer, not FAT32.
However, Windows, the same as OS X, will be able to access that file system.
If they do have FAT32 on their Windows machine, they also, will not be able to copy an 11 GB file to their drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video play back quality questions... | Short Cuts/Tips and Keys to Using IMovies Well »