remove unwanted noise in iMovie 11
    Hi there... I am editing a movie in iMovie 11. As I was shooting my friend's speech, my tripod started sticking and I couldn't get it to loosen up. So, several times during the movie you can hear my tripod making a loud sticking noise when I turn the camera. Is there a way that I can remove just this noise without affecting the volume of the speaker's voice?

I have tried lowering every bar in the equalizer individually and none of them seem to change anything. I have tried lowering the volume bar in just those sections of audio where I have spikes, but I can't grab it precisely enough and it seems to lower the speaker's voice too.

Can I separate out the audio somehow so I can just remove the tripod noise?

Thanks...

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    You can't isolate noise when the audio is on just a single track.

Is there a way to edit the audio into separate tracks? In Garage Band, maybe?

remove unwanted noise in iMovie 11
    Hi there... I am editing a movie in iMovie 11. As I was shooting my friend's speech, my tripod started sticking and I couldn't get it to loosen up. So, several times during the movie you can hear my tripod making a loud sticking noise when I turn the camera. I'm told there is no way to isolate this sound and remove it in iMovie.

BUT... if I pull just the audio into Garage Band, is there a way that I can remove just this noise without affecting the volume of the speaker's voice? I have never used GB before so I need someone to explain it to me like I'm 3...

~tasia

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    No, because the sound is all mixed up into one track. It would be like having a video of two people and wanting to end up with two videos, each only showing one person in each video.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    @tasia:

Please do not cross post or double post. Keep your thread together in one forum and continue posting there until it's closed. I've merged your threads together here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to. I thought that since I found out that I needed to ask the question about Garage Band instead of iMovie, I should post it in the music/audio forum.

same problem
    I have the exact situation, clicking noise from noisy tripod... here it is the end of 2013 and a new imovie, is there any way to cancel the annoying clicking noise?? Thanks! btw: I will be lubricating it before my next shoot...

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Here's something that may help but it can't be done in iMovie you will need other audio software. Before you invest much time in this procedure play the clip and listen to see what else is happening in the movie. Listen for a section of the clip where the sticking noise is happening but there isn't much else in the way of noises / sounds.

If you can find that section, even just a second or two, try the following:

1. In iMovie select the entire movie clip. Detach the audio from the video clip.
    2. Copy the newly detached audio to the clipboard and paste it into a new file in the audio program
    3. Scroll to the section where the unwanted noise appears and select that section of the noise.
    4. Still in the audio program select sample noise.
    5. Now select the entire sound and choose suppress noise. Do not trim the file or do anything that affects the length of the file.
    6. Save the resulting file then import into iTunes and replace the old audio with the new one.

I am using the most recent version of iMovie but I believe other versions have the same commands. The commands from the audio program come from HairerSoft - Audio editor / sound and voice recorder for Mac OS X but other programs have similar features but Audacity is free and I think it has similar features.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information