New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

File conversion for dummy's

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LazyCarrot

LazyCarrot is on a distinguished road

Can't find a dummy's section so hoping some of you guys can point me in the right direction here...

I have a .mov file that i want to burn to DVD and play on a standard DVD player through my TV.
It's a straight forward home video - no menu's or 'track selection' chapters etc.

The .mov file is bigger capacity than a standard DVD disc so - i think that means i need to compress it as well (?)
From what little I've been able to work out i may need to convert my .mov file to a .vob (not sure if that's right).

I've been downloading various free rippers/converters/condensers/anything with DVD in the title! etc none of which seem to be able to produce a copy of my .mov file in a format i can stick into my DVD player.

Handbrake and DVD2oneX seem to be the most 'promising' but I may be barking up the totally wrong tree
I get the feeling I may need to use a combination of them but can't figure out what does what!

If anyone can point me in the direction of some suitable software that would be great...
But I'd also appreciate a crash course detailing exactly what steps I should be taking and an outline of what i'm trying to achieve. At the moment although I know what I'd like as the outcome I'm befuddled by the various processes required to achieve it.

Okay, I've donned my asbestos suit and I'm ready to be flamed

Cheers - and thanks for any assistance.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you tries the open source burn

Burn - Home

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
LazyCarrot

LazyCarrot is on a distinguished road

Thanks Louishan...
Downloaded a copy and I'm playing with it now... looks really useful - thanks for the pointer.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

File size is not that important, Burn will convert/compress as required. The length of the movie is more imortant. You'll get about 1h30m on a single layer dvd, and about twice as much on a dual layer. Burn should ask you for a dual layer if you movie is too long for a single layer disc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FCPX to iMovie? | iMovie/iDVD resolution---what to choose? »