New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Need a solution: Record from iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zany90

zany90 is on a distinguished road

As the title says, I Need a solution: I need to capture/record video from the iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio rather than capturing the microphone or system input.. It isnt a situation where i can just record audio and video separate and dub them together, its a dj setup and it needs to work by recording the video from the webcam, and using whats coming into the system in as the audio it records for the video... Anyone ? :/

Any help appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

You start by saying:
Quote:
I need to capture/record video from the iSight/webcam, but record system output as audio rather than capturing the microphone or system input
but then go on to say:
Quote:
it needs to work by recording the video from the webcam, and using whats coming into the system in as the audio

So I'm not sure of which audio source you want to be honest . . .

If you could clarify the audio source required and perhaps add details of which version of OSX you have, which Mac etc.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
zany90

Sorry that was a bit cryptic. Its to do with the way I have everything set up. Basically I have an external mixer and turntable, the output of the mixer goes in to the system input to record scratching, but the music is played via an audio player on the system, so basically the "system output" outputs both the itunes track and the external vinyl - I need to capture this/both: The system output, as the audio track for a capture for the webcam. I hope this makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks
zany90

Also OSX 10.6.8, Snow Leopard. iMac
QUOTE Thanks
zany90

Quote:
Originally Posted by zany90 View Post
Sorry that was a bit cryptic. Its to do with the way I have everything set up. Basically I have an external mixer and turntable, the output of the mixer goes in to the system input to record scratching, but the music is played via an audio player on the system, so basically the "system output" outputs both the itunes track and the external vinyl - I need to capture this/both: The system output, as the audio track for a capture for the webcam. I hope this makes sense.
Also the reason I wish to have it record the system output rather than using a mic is purely down to quality issues and not wanting to hear crossfader clicks etc.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

The only app I know that can capture the the composite audio output is Audio Hijack Pro but this is audio only.

You can use this to record audio and something else (iMovie?) to record the webcam video.

IMovie and other video capture apps allow you to choose an audio input source but I don't know any that can grab the composite output and video simultaneously.

Is there any reason the you can't just edit the separate audio and video files together?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
zany90

The main reason for not recording audio and video separately is syncronicity. I had a feeling this would be the case. Im using an app at the minute called LineIn which allows me to blend the audio coming in with the audio coming out, in that way I can hear the vinyl manipulation over itunes or also record audio with logic this way although video seems to be a problem
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imovie will not finalize project | iMovie HD video all black! (but audio works) »