New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iTunes movie format/ security encoding

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nola26

Nola26 is on a distinguished road

I have been slowly converting all of my physical DVDs that I own to digital formats and putting them on my NAS. From there I can stream movies to all of my iOS devices as well as my smart tv and ps3.

My question is about buying a movie from iTunes. If I buy a movie, I assume it is in .mp4 format. Will I be able to put it on my NAS and stream it to all of my devices? Or does Apple put security encoding on the movie so it is useless on anything but an Apple product? And if they do is the security able to be removed so I can use the movie how I want?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Yes movies have DRM on them and can only be used on Apple devices or PCs with iTunes

And we cannot discuss breaking DRM on this forum, it's against US law and the forum rules

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Nola26

Nola26 is on a distinguished road

I was under the impression that breaking DRM of a movie that you own was a point of contention wether or not it was illegal. I apologize for bringing it up on this forum, but the way I look at it, if I bought a movie with my money, I should be able to do what I want with it besides showing it in public for a fee and stuff like that.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I am not at issue with the opinion that DRM seems to punish legit buyers of content.

But it is still against US law, and the owners of the forum dont want the forum attracting litigation, or worse, closure, due to discussions that are currently about illegal activity

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playing Video Files (mp4, m4v, etc.) from external hd on TV | VIDEO_TS folder to a DVD ? »