iTunes movie format/ security encoding
    I have been slowly converting all of my physical DVDs that I own to digital formats and putting them on my NAS. From there I can stream movies to all of my iOS devices as well as my smart tv and ps3.

My question is about buying a movie from iTunes. If I buy a movie, I assume it is in .mp4 format. Will I be able to put it on my NAS and stream it to all of my devices? Or does Apple put security encoding on the movie so it is useless on anything but an Apple product? And if they do is the security able to be removed so I can use the movie how I want?

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Yes movies have DRM on them and can only be used on Apple devices or PCs with iTunes

And we cannot discuss breaking DRM on this forum, it's against US law and the forum rules
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

I was under the impression that breaking DRM of a movie that you own was a point of contention wether or not it was illegal. I apologize for bringing it up on this forum, but the way I look at it, if I bought a movie with my money, I should be able to do what I want with it besides showing it in public for a fee and stuff like that.

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    I am not at issue with the opinion that DRM seems to punish legit buyers of content.

But it is still against US law, and the owners of the forum dont want the forum attracting litigation, or worse, closure, due to discussions that are currently about illegal activity
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola26 View Post
    I was under the impression that breaking DRM of a movie that you own was a point of contention wether or not it was illegal.
    It varies from country to country, but in the US it is not a point of contention or opinion. It's illegal, full stop, end of story. Needless to say, some people think that goes too far, but until an organized effort can be made to change the law, this forum operates under what is current.

Thread Information