New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

2011 Reburbished 27" OR 2012 New 21.5"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

1014510 is on a distinguished road

I never owned an iMac before but that will be changing very soon.

I will use an iMac for Web research, email, picture editing/storage and basic home video creation using iMovie.

Up until now, I planned on purchashing the 2012 base 21.5" iMac, however, I see that Apple is offering the 2011 27" iMac for $1359 (20% off), which isn't much more than the new 21.5". I really don't want to spend any more than $1400. Here are the specs. on the 2011 27" refurbished model....

Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program
Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

The fact that the new iMac is thinner, lighter and has a less glaring screen are not selling points for me since it will be stationary in an office, and that office is in a rather dark environment (basement office).

Do you feel it's worth the trade-off to go with the 'older' model that has a larger screen/might be a little slower/less RAM? I have never edited movies, but I have to believe that it's plenty fast enough for basic video stuff.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

The 2011 iMac model with it's base 4GB can be upgraded to the maximum of 32GB very easily by you. The 2012 iMac's, however, have to be configured with the RAM you want from the get go, which increases the base price.

You don't say what the processor of the refurb iMac is, but based on what you want to use it for, I think it will do superbly and the 27" screen is awesome.

I've got the 2009 i7 27" iMac and do a lot more with it and it works great..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
You don't say what the processor of the refurb iMac is, but based on what you want to use it for, I think it will do superbly and the 27" screen is awesome.
The processor is a 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1014510 View Post
Do you feel it's worth the trade-off to go with the 'older' model that has a larger screen/might be a little slower/less RAM?
Don't 'down-play" display size. You "look" at the computers display almost every second you use the computer…and large size can be really helpful when working with:

- multiple web pages
- multi-page documents
- large spreadsheets
- large photos, graphics, and videos

I wouldn't worry about the ram. Both the older 27" and newer 21" have the same max. ram (32gig)…and I'm not sure the slightly faster ram in the 2012 21" will be noticed (I would MUCH rather have the larger 27" display)!

One unknown regarding the 2012 21" iMacs is the graphics performance. Not many (if any) reviews have been written yet (since the "Late 2012" iMac's haven't been released yet)…so I would say hold off on your purchase until we have a better idea of the overall performance of the "Late 2012" iMacs.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Well in that case, the base 2012 21.5" iMac is also a 2.7GHz i5. Even though they might be different processor families, I think that shouldn't be an issue for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Has screen glare with the current model really been that big of a problem. Let me just say that when I order photographs (Shutterfly, etc.), I usually go with more of a Matte finish as I have having to adjust my viewing angle to get the glare out of the picture. I'm just curious if those with the current model iMac really have that much difficulty with glare. As I had stated earlier, I will have it set up in a home office, which is located in the basement of our house, so I wouldn't think glare would be an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Has screen glare with the current model really been that big of a problem.
If you're thinking of buying a new/newer model iMac…it really doesn't matter…since there isn't an alternative display to choose from.

If you don't like the glossy display…then you will have to purchase a different model Mac…such as a:

- Mac Pro or Mac-Mini (and provide your own display)
- MacBook Pro with the optional "matte" display

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If you're thinking of buying a new/newer model iMac…it really doesn't matter…since there isn't an alternative display to choose from.

If you don't like the glossy display…then you will have to purchase a different model Mac…such as a:

- Mac Pro or Mac-Mini (and provide your own display)
- MacBook Pro with the optional "matte" display

- Nick
According to the specs. for the new iMac coming out this Friday, there is 75% screen glare reduction when compared to the current 2011 model iMac. I am just wondering if the current (2011) models that don't have this 75% screen glare reduction are really that difficult to view.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
According to the specs. for the new iMac coming out this Friday, there is 75% screen glare reduction when compared to the current 2011 model iMac.
Ok…yes…I forgot about the "anti-reflective coating" detail.

Quote:
I am just wondering if the current (2011) models that don't have this 75% screen glare reduction are really that difficult to view.
As far as previous iMac models with the glossy display & glare…you've got two camps…those that hate the glossy display's & those that love them (or at least are not bothered by them). So you're really not going to get a definitive answer. You basically have to look at the display for yourself…and make a judgement call.

As far as the new "Late 2012" iMac's with the reduced glare display. We won't know if it "truly" is a big reduction in glare or not…until the reviewers (and we) can actually see the units in person.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
DavidHH

DavidHH has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

The big difference in the newer iMac are the ports.
I believe that ports are a really important part of the buying decision.

Computers are not used in isolation and generally have peripheral devices attached to them.
The new ports (Thunderbolt and USB 3.0) will give you two very important advantages: "future proofing" for new or additional peripheral devices, and secondly productivity/speed improvement when you ask your computer to access the peripheral devices.

Give this some consideration if these points are important to you.

DavidH
QUOTE Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHH View Post
Computers are not used in isolation and generally have peripheral devices attached to them.
The new ports (Thunderbolt and USB 3.0) will give you two very important advantages: "future proofing" for new or additional peripheral devices, and secondly productivity/speed improvement when you ask your computer to access the peripheral devices.
Thanks for your thoughts....good to think about. Currently, I have a min-DV camcorder, which I plan to use for awhile before upgrading to something more up-to-date.

I don't really plan on getting into anything really hi-tech beyond transferring mini-dv and high 8 camcorder tapes to dvd for easier viewing, and to create more video of special events/vacations.

It's all good to keep in mind though...I like the idea of being on the leading edge, but I'm always the guy that goes wiht the cheaper version of technology that is usually a step or 2 behind what is the latest and greatest, and I manage to make out just fine and save allot of $ by doing so.

Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
...but I'm always the guy that goes wiht the cheaper version of technology that is usually a step or 2 behind what is the latest and greatest, and I manage to make out just fine and save allot of $ by doing so.
In my opinion this is really one of the best strategies. I've been doing this for about the past 15 years with Apple computers. And being 1-2 steps behind many times means:

- A computer that's only 1.0-1.5 years old.
- If there were any serious bugs to work out…most of them should be worked out by this time.
- If the computer had some serious design flaws or manufacturing flaws…hopefully they will have showed up…and then you know to completely stay away from that model.

But being cutting edge can be fun too…just darn expensive in the long run!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
But being cutting edge can be fun too…just darn expensive in the long run!
I use the same strategy when buying an auto. Let someone else suffer the depreciation while I get the advantage of saving big $$$! Of course like Nick, you need to know what you're buying. Lemon juice is very sour to drink!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I use the same strategy when buying an auto. Let someone else suffer the depreciation while I get the advantage of saving big $$$! Of course like Nick, you need to know what you're buying. Lemon juice is very sour to drink!
I do the exact same thing with autos…I've never owned a brand new car in 31 years of driving! But I have had a TON of used ones!

And 100% totally agree…a person needs to know how to evaluate a used item…be it a computer or an automobile!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
scarrz

scarrz is on a distinguished road

I was contemplating the same decision whether to purchase the iMac 27" i5 quad core refurbished that is currently listed in the apple store or wait for the iMac 2012. I decided last nite to purchase the 2011 because of the much better price and it also has a superdrive DVD built in and I like being able to upgrade the ram easily. I found some corsair ram 16GB (2x8gb sticks) for $57 off amazon so I purchased 2 sets to push the iMac to 32GB of RAM.

Good luck with your choice, either way it should suit you well.

Quote:
I never owned an iMac before but that will be changing very soon.

I will use an iMac for Web research, email, picture editing/storage and basic home video creation using iMovie.

Up until now, I planned on purchashing the 2012 base 21.5" iMac, however, I see that Apple is offering the 2011 27" iMac for $1359 (20% off), which isn't much more than the new 21.5". I really don't want to spend any more than $1400. Here are the specs. on the 2011 27" refurbished model....

Eligible for OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program
Originally released May 2011
27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
4GB memory
1TB hard drive
8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics with 512MB memory

Built-in FaceTime HD camera

The fact that the new iMac is thinner, lighter and has a less glaring screen are not selling points for me since it will be stationary in an office, and that office is in a rather dark environment (basement office).

Do you feel it's worth the trade-off to go with the 'older' model that has a larger screen/might be a little slower/less RAM? I have never edited movies, but I have to believe that it's plenty fast enough for basic video stuff.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« burn a project from FCP | Strange dvd studio pro/editing problem :( »