New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HELP Please - want to copy family videos...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dave95sps

dave95sps is on a distinguished road

Can anyone help me with this?

I am copying old family VHS tapes to DVD for Christmas gifts to my children. The Sony dubbing deck I use allows me to make these copies fairly easily. Now that I have made a few DVD's, I tried to play one on the computer (played on the iMac okay), but the problem I have is to "save" the DVD to hard drive, edit them, then make 3 copies for my children.

I am totally confused how to "save" a DVD. It seems the iMac OS (current OS system) will not allow me to do it. I have searched these forums and read about software that would allow me to do this, but admittedly I am very confused.

So my question is - do I need to purchase a specific software? and if so, which software would be best for this application?

Thank you in advance. You all are my "smart people" network

Dave in Virginia
QUOTE Thanks
Ramimac1

Ramimac1 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram

I This this is what you want. It says Leopard(older version of OSX) but it should follow the same.

How To Make Copies of DVDs

Old time Computer Hardware Tech
Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

Snoopy is the Man !!!
QUOTE Thanks
dave95sps

Thank you Ramimac 1.

That is a lot of information to digest, but I'll give it a try. I appreciate your response.

Dave in Virginia
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Ramimac's link will enable you to make a copy of your dvds so that you can make further dvds. If you want to edit the footage that is on your dvds then use Handbrake. This will produce a video file which you can then edit in iMovie.
HandBrake

Just remember, the resolution on VHS video is pretty poor, so your finished project is not going to be any better.
QUOTE Thanks
dave95sps

I am in the process of recording old family video VHS tapes to DVDs for our children's Christmas presents. We have 20 DVDs recorded.

As someone suggested, I downloaded "Handbrake" to successfully upload one of the newly recorded DVDs to my iMac. I then put an empty DVD-R into slot, then clicked on the movie in the hard drive "burn to disc". It burned a successful copy. I can play this copy in my computer DVD drive.

THE PROBLEM - the newly recorded DVD will not play on the DVD player we have connected to our television. However, it will play while in the computer.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I would sincerely appreciate your guidance.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
dave95sps

UPDATE:

I used the link provided by Ramimac 1. It scanned on the final step and everything looked good, but at the end of the scan a window appeared "Unable to create "Family Christmas 1987.cdr" (Input/Output error)

I tried 3 times with the same results.

I then downloaded "Handbrake" as someone also suggested. Handbrake enabled me to successfully download the DVD. It plays from the hard drive. Now, the problem I have is to burn the video to a DVD that will play on the other DVD player we have connected to our television. I can burn a DVD by right clicking on the downloaded video in hard drive, then clicking "burn to disc" - it will burn to the blank DVD which is actually playable in the computers hard drive, using Quicktime. But that DVD will not play on the the DVD player we have connected to our television.

The family video I downloaded using Handbrake is stored on my hard drive as a .m4v. When I play in my DVD player connected to the television, I get the following image:

This technology is impressive and continues to amaze this old Grandfather. I just wish I could figure things out a little better

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2334.JPG (76.1 KB, 29 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Threads merged - No need to create a new thread about a continuing issue..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
I then put an empty DVD-R into slot, then clicked on the movie in the hard drive "burn to disc". It burned a successful copy.
Quote:
I can burn a DVD by right clicking on the downloaded video in hard drive, then clicking "burn to disc" - it will burn to the blank DVD which is actually playable in the computers hard drive, using Quicktime. But that DVD will not play on the the DVD player we have connected to our television.
That's because all you have done is burn a copy of the video file to a dvd, and made a "data" DVD. What you need is a "Video" DVD to able to play it in a DVD Player.
As your Mac doesn't have iDVD, download a copy of Burn from here. It's free.
Burn - Home
Run Burn and you'll get a window like this:

Drag and drop your video file into it, select Video and DVD-Video and hen click Burn and that should work.

However, not all DVD Players will play all DVDs made on a computer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie audio clip disappears | mac, adobe and AVCHD »