SSD upgrade or new machine?
    I am an amateur filmmaker in SLC. I use Adobe after effects and PP on my PC desktop for the majority of my editing. I recently got a job at a studio as an editor but I am required to supply my own computer (it is a bit of a co-op). I would not like to bring my massive PC tower into the studio as it is also my gaming machine. I own a Macbook pro, with a 2.4 core 2 duo and 8 gigs of ram. It CAN run after effects and PP.. but chugs along rather slow and that is no workflow. My question is, should I just upgrade this macbook with an SSD in the optical drie slot and a new 7500 HD? Or should I sell the old macbook and buy a new.. mac mini? Macbook pro? Wait for the new iMac? I could just really use an outside opinion.
    EDIT- I forgot the last option, to build another PC desktop with the money from selling my macbook pro. 6 core setup with 32 gigs of ram is reachable under the price of a imac.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I would think you'd rather have a machine that was portable and powerful at the same time. One that you could take home with you after the day's work.

The new MacBook Pro 15" (non retina) model would be a good choice. Load it up with memory and a large enough SSD that you can afford. Or, order it with a large hard drive and add an SSD in place of the optical drive later on. The high end 15" machine fully loaded is going to cost well over $2000 but since you're going to use it professionally, it'll pay for itself.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    It's also a tax deduction

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    It's also a tax deduction
    No, it's not.

But, I agree. Newer machines are MUCH faster.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I vote new machine as there are other factors on the older machine that will limit its speed such as cache,processor and amount and speed of the ram other than just going with an SSD over conventional drive.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    No, it's not.
    It most certainly is. Buying a new Mac to use for your BUSINESS is indeed tax deductible.

Specs:
    It most certainly is. Buying a new Mac to use for your BUSINESS is indeed tax deductible.
    Go read his post again chas. Amateur means exactly that.
    mike

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    Go read his post again chas. Amateur means exactly that.
    Amateur does not automatically mean you have not set up a business. It just means you are not yet a professional.

Your interpretation may be correct (the OP would have to weigh in on this) but I've known a LOT of amateur filmmakers who set up LLCs for each film they do, even if the whole thing was funded on grants and credit cards and will never make a dime. Indeed, if you're reasonably certain the film won't make much (if any) money, incorporating is a VERY sound business strategy for tax purposes.

Specs:
    Amateur does not automatically mean you have not set up a business. It just means you are not yet a professional.

Your interpretation may be correct (the OP would have to weigh in on this) but I've known a LOT of amateur filmmakers who set up LLCs for each film they do, even if the whole thing was funded on grants and credit cards and will never make a dime. Indeed, if you're reasonably certain the film won't make much (if any) money, incorporating is a VERY sound business strategy for tax purposes.
    To benefit from a tax deduction, you must derive a specific amount of income from the item. To simply state that there is a tax deduction is as inaccurate as it would be to state that any professional is a better filmmaker than any specific amateur. It may simply mean one does not want to deal with the headaches of performing professionally (and yes, there are extreme headaches in allowing others into your own creative process).

If you really need more info, I'll be happy to have my wife provide some... Tax accounting is, after all, her profession.
    mike

Specs:
    I'll defer to your wife, but as she can probably tell you not every business makes a lot of income, particularly in the early days.

Thread Information