New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

FInal Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Saltare

Saltare is on a distinguished road

I am currently using both Final Cut Pro 6 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 for video editing. I like both of the applications but when I eventually upgrade to OSX Lion, I have heard that Final Cut will not work any more as it is a Power PC application.

Should I upgrade to Final Cut Pro X? Or should I save my money and continue using Premiere instead?

What benefits will Final Cut Pro X give me over Premiere? and if I do upgrade will it take me long to get used to the new software? or is it quite similar to Final Cut Pro 6?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

you should upgrade to Final Cut Pro X, since you are using Premiere CS 5. That way you will have both of the current generation and can correctly compare which one will be best for your needs going forward.
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

At the very least download the trial version of FCP X...and yes it is markedly different than FCP 6.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

It comes down to "do you want to spend the extra money or just drop FCP altogether?"

As I didnt have Premier, I got FCPX. Love it. I came from Sony Vegas 10 on a Windows machine to FCPX on my MBP. Wont go back. Love FCPX.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying Movies to my Mac | MacBook Pro (retina) Question »