New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

VGA vs HDMI Quality

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ollieb52

ollieb52 is on a distinguished road

Hi there everyone.

I've always used a VGA cable and miniDP adapter to show the screen of my mid 2011 15" MBP on my Samsung LCD series 6 tv and the picture quality was amazing. The resolution could be set to 1920x1080 and would chow a colour profile very similar to the screen of the MacBook.

Recently i have misplaced the VGA cable/adapter combo, so bought a miniDP to HDMI cable. The quality by contrast is crap. Though the display settings are all configured (have tried all combinations: 1080p/1080i/scaled to other resolutions etc.) the text is fuzzy and ill defined and the colour is horrible (i have somewhat managed to rectify this using the calibration settings on the mac and the tv)

Really, im just curios as to why this might be. I will probably switch back to the VGA cable solution as some point, but id love to hear any ideas people have

Ollie
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Actually, the opposite effect should occur. VGA is analogue only and is inferior to a digital signal which both DVI and HDMI provide. Something else is going on with your connection. However, you did not provide us with enough detail about your Mac (year and model) and which version of OS X you're currently using.

We also have a very informative Sticky thread posted in our "Other Hardware" forum at the top that you might want to read through. The subject is about connecting your Mac to a TV. LINK
QUOTE Thanks
ollieb52

ollieb52 is on a distinguished road

Well this is the case. I fully expected the quality to be superior due to the digital nature of HDMI. Im normally fairly savvy about these things which is why I was surprised.

Mi only theory is that the signal from HDMI is undergoing some sort of scaling either on the TV end or the mac end, whereas the VGA signal is not.

The difference is remarkable, I would love to be able to show you. If i find the cable/when i buy another, i will try and do a comparative test.

My Mac specs are 15-inch, Early 2011 (apologies, I had this one wrong)
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Running OSX 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
corvaxmuzzy

corvaxmuzzy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
have tried all combinations: 1080p/1080i/scaled to other resolutions etc.
I see that you have tried different combinations. In case you have not tried it, I would offer the following:

1. Find your TV's maximum resolution (1920x1080, or whatever it is) & match the MacBook's resolution.
and/or:
2. Try a different cable.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie,editing | iMovie »