New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie not recognizing camera

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rebeccadance21

rebeccadance21 is on a distinguished road

Hello!

I have the Sony HDR-CX160 video camera and have been recording clips and editing them in iMovie 09'. Everything has been working fine and I have been able to get clips imported, until this past week whenever I plug my camera in and click Import From Camera in iMovie, it only seems to recognize the Built-in iSight camera. I have tried restarting imovie and reconnecting my camera, but nothing seems to work. I was wondering if there was any way to fix this.

Thank you so much!
QUOTE Thanks
Sudmeister

Sudmeister is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook 13" 2.4 GHz C2D, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400 RPM, 256MB VRAM, 8X DL

This happens with my sony video camera as well. Whenever I plug my camera into my mac, there is a chance it won't work. When this happens to me I just close down imovie, disconnect my camera and wait a few minutes (I don't know if waiting actually helps), then I plug the camera back in and open imovie. Usually a window will automatically pop up saying scanning for devices, then I may have to click on that little button with the video camera on it, then it loads a bit, then it says generating poster images. Sometimes one just has to be very patient to let imovie sort itself out.
Note: For a while it wouldn't recognize my camera at all, which is what you may be experiencing.
Hope this was of some help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extra Video effects theme Imovie | Using USB and storage devices »