New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

iMovie Won't Launch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Philbert

Philbert is on a distinguished road

Greetings all, and thanks for this forum.

Of course I have a problem. Your advice is most appreciated.

I can't get iMovie to launch anymore. I click the icon in the Dock, the iMovie icon bounces once, and then nothing, the program never launches.

iMovie used to work just fine, and then one day it stopped launching. I'm guessing maybe a preference file is corrupted or something like that?

All other apps working ok.

I'm using OSX 10.4.11 on a PPC G5.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice!

Phil
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

Well, isn't this just the most perfect 1st post I have ever laid my eyes on
But I will cut to the chase... in Finder, you could try to navigate to the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" in your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences.
Drag this file to the Trash. When next opened iMovie will create a fresh file with the default settings.

Let's hope this will cause iMovie to 'reset' and open.

SM

QUOTE Thanks
Philbert

Philbert is on a distinguished road

Many thanks for your reply Sur3Mac!

Quote:
Well, isn't this just the most perfect 1st post I have ever laid my eyes on
I promise my next first post on the forum will share my vast knowledge of iMovie. I will demonstrate important advanced procedures, like how to spell iMovie, using the special lower case "i". Stay tuned for this tutorial! :-)

Quote:
But I will cut to the chase... in Finder, you could try to navigate to the file named "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist" in your User (Home) folder Library/Preferences. Drag this file to the Trash. When next opened iMovie will create a fresh file with the default settings.
Yes, this does seem like the logical place to start, I just couldn't quite remember how to do it. Thank you.

Sadly, my iMovie finds this repair inadequate, and rudely demands additional debugging.

I do see that when I tried to launch iMovie after dumping the prefs file, iMovie didn't recreate a new prefs file. So apparently iMovie doesn't get that far in it's launch sequence. (I've restored the prefs file manually).

I tried to launch iMovie from the backup drive, and got the message "You can not open the app iMovie, because it may be damaged or incomplete." I don't see this error message when trying to launch iMovie from startup drive. Not sure if this is useful info...

Hmm... Thanks for any additional suggestions you may be able to share!
QUOTE Thanks
jennygoodwine

jennygoodwine is on a distinguished road

Hi Phil,

I am having the same problem (10.4.11 Powerbook bounces once and won't launch iMovie). Did you ever find a solution?

Thank you!
Jenny
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Studio Pro 1 and 10.9.4 | m4v movie format »