New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Final Cut X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RobertLundie

RobertLundie is on a distinguished road

Hi All

I need help. I am on final cut 6 at the moment. So i spoiled ,myself with the new MacBook Pro with retina display. So now final cut doesn't want to install because it is powerPC app. Is it worth it to download final cut pro x. And is it safe using the downloaded file?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
codda

codda is a jewel in the roughcodda is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G

Download the 30 day trial and see for yourself...The interface will be markedly different from what your used to...but once you adjust, I believe you will enjoy it's simplicity and sophistication.
QUOTE Thanks
chappers

chappers is on a distinguished road

Have FCPX on two Macs. Both downloaded no problems.

Interface is different to FC-6. More like iMovie, but don't let that put you off.

Have a look at Mac Break Studio for some excellent tutorials on FCPX
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

When FCP X first came out there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but as was the case with iMovie before it, the grief largely died down once people got to grips with it and discovered, guess what, it's actually awesome. It's fair to say that growing third-party support for FCP X helped a lot with that like it always does.

I'm amazed to hear video pros who two years ago were swearing they'd never buy Apple again now calling the SAME PROGRAM they cussed out "the gold standard of video editing" and talking about how all the other systems (Adobe, Avid, etc) are changing to be more like it. What a difference a few patches and plug-ins can make ...
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

Actually Final Cut 6/7 is NOT a PowerPC app. Mountain Lion supports it. Folks are having mixed results with running the installer in ML. But most find the installer runs just find.

ML will run 32-bit apps just fine. Just not apps with 32-bit Kernel Extensions, which FCP 6/7 do not have. But they are not "PowerPC" apps at all. They are fully Intel apps.

I highly recommend getting proper training for FCP X. macProVideo.com has the most affordable and extensive training videos on the market. They have tons of free short written tutorials on their HUB section. Second best is Ripple Training. Everything else is garbage, IMHO.

I'm running FCP X 10.0.5 (soon to be 10.0.6 we hope) on a 2008 Mac Pro, 2007 17" MBP, and a 15" rMBP. No problems on any of them.

Word of warning: It's GPU and RAM hungry, so be sure your rMBP is maxed out on RAM, and has the largest SSD drive. You'll also need an external (secondary) drive for Events and Projects. Do not run them on the OS drive. FW800 (via adapter) or T'bolt (out performs Mac Pros) will do you just fine.

But take a course in person or online and save yourself a ton of trial and error (mostly errors) and dispell the myths right up front. It's very, very worth the money and time.

Tons of free user made plugins (and 99% are extreme pro quality) at fcp.co on the Free Templates forum there.

I'll never go back to FCP 7, I'll never go back to PPro, I'll never waste time on Avid MC. FCP X is all that, and more.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

*Like* ^^^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transfer movie from TV to Mac Pro | Burn a Blu-Ray With Toast 11 »