Thread: Burning to DVD

Burning to DVD
    Hi there,
    Im new to a Mac and have just made a movie in iMovie. I have got Roxio toast also and have tried to burn the movie to DVD (I know its not the done thing anymore, but tell that to my parents!). The movie burns but when it is played on a dvd player it seems the side of the movie is missing. It looks like the movie is just too big for the tV. I hope I am explaining my self properly. You can definitely see the problem if there is text in the movie and half the writing from either end is missing.

Any suggestions??

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Have you experimented with display settings on the TV? Could it be that the video was formatted for a 16:10 or 16:9 display, and your parents are using a standard NTSC set.

I ask this because I know my parents often get disgruntled with letterbox view, so they play around with the zoom settings on TV/DVD player. That might be part of the problem... just a thought.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Have you experimented with display settings on the TV? Could it be that the video was formatted for a 16:10 or 16:9 display, and your parents are using a standard NTSC set.

I ask this because I know my parents often get disgruntled with letterbox view, so they play around with the zoom settings on TV/DVD player. That might be part of the problem... just a thought.
    I am in Australia and our system is PAL. There is an option to make sure it is burnt in the PAL format. So I am defiantly doing that. I dont recall it happening when I used windows.

Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post

After just thinking about your last message, I realised that I hadnt checked the settings of the DVD player - when I did they were set to 4:3. After changing it to 16:9 GUess what!!! I cant believe I have spent about 4 hrs tonight looking at this.
    Thanks

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
    After just thinking about your last message, I realised that I hadnt checked the settings of the DVD player - when I did they were set to 4:3. After changing it to 16:9 GUess what!!! I cant believe I have spent about 4 hrs tonight looking at this.
    Thanks
    Cool - I had a feeling that might have been the case

Glad to hear you got it working.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Depending on the model of TV, it *may* have the option of autosensing what format the data coming in is in and adjust its video accordingly. Have a look at the manual for the TV for that.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Depending on the model of TV, it *may* have the option of autosensing what format the data coming in is in and adjust its video accordingly. Have a look at the manual for the TV for that.
    Thank you, will look into......it's always the simple things that cause the most grief,!!

Specs:
    OS X Version 10.7.4, Lion
    Burnning dvd
    I burn 3=10 DVD per week. I had a terrible time trying to play them on my TV. Also when I could play them on my TV I would send them to family and many times the had trouble playing them.

After en extensive Google search I changed to VERBATIM DVD disks. This solved my problem and I did not produce any mores "coasters".

Quote Originally Posted by LillLake View Post
    I burn 3=10 DVD per week. I had a terrible time trying to play them on my TV. Also when I could play them on my TV I would send them to family and many times the had trouble playing them.

After en extensive Google search I changed to VERBATIM DVD disks. This solved my problem and I did not produce any mores "coasters".

Thanks you will give that a try also.

Thread Information