New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

DVD copy of VHS tape won't play on iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TomServo

TomServo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

I had several old VHS tapes (family movies and such) that I wanted copied to DVD to show at my daughters wedding, so I took them to a local camera shop that does this work and they did a fantastic job of extracting the data to DVD.

I get home an pop it into my iMac and it won't play. So ****** off I put it in my HT Blu-Ray Player and if plays back flawlessly.

Did they do something wrong when they made the copy for me? Should I go back and complain?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did they use normal DVD's to make the copies? You say they play in the BL player, They are not BL disks are they? I have never had that issue with any readable DVD here on my iMac.

Do they have any info on the front of the DVD like what brand and type they are?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

They probably made the copies on Blue Ray disks which will not play in your iMac. You might want to go back and ask them to master them again but this time on ordinary DVDs. Keep the Blue Rays disks, however.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Mac Specs: 27" iMAC 3.20GHZ INTEL CORE I3, 1TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE, ATI RADEON HD 5750 1GB GDDR5, 12GB DDR3 RAM

No they look like plain old DVD, I just tried to play it in my HT which has a BR player. It also plays in a portable DVD player but not on the iMac.

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Does the Mac recognize the disk? Also what programs have you tried? Have you tried VLC - that seems to play everything. Since it plays in a regular DVD player it shouldn't be a Blu-Ray disk.
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
Does the Mac recognize the disk? Also what programs have you tried? Have you tried VLC - that seems to play everything. Since it plays in a regular DVD player it shouldn't be a Blu-Ray disk.
VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!
My iMAC is factory stock, I thought I was done with needing third party apps to make things work. Guess I can get VLC from the App Store and will try that.

Thanks

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
My iMAC is factory stock, I thought I was done with needing third party apps to make things work. Guess I can get VLC from the App Store and will try that.

Thanks

Tom
What does OSX do when you insert that DVD?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

If you were using a stock(store bought) DVD then my guess your Mac would work. VLC will pretty much play any format out there - and there are plenty of 3rd party video formats - so if you want to watch videos from any source - you will never be done with 3rd party software.

I don't believe VLC is available from the App Store. It is open source - which tends to not work with the App Store Licensing. (Someone tried to put it onto iOS and it got pulled by the VLC folks request)
VLC for iOS removed from the App Store (updated) | 9to5Mac
VLC is available at the link I provided.
QUOTE Thanks
TomServo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
What does OSX do when you insert that DVD?
I'm away on a family outing and when I return on Thurs I'll post up a screen shot of the error message.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating smaller movie files | PFV files »