New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Confused, info please.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pedalman

Pedalman is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me in easy to understand words the easiest way to load and edit HD video from camcorders onto a Mac ? ( from SD cards or SSD drives etc )
Ive used several Macs for about five years for photography and recently I wanted to try video .
I was interested in the Panasonic HS900 then found that Macs do not support any camcorder manufacturers for video editing even in their own final cut pro X.

I recently bought a macbook pro to edit my wildlife photos on the move and thought Id be able to do wild life videos ...............Im absolutely surprised and dumbfounded that apple has such a problem with video when windows based PCs and software seems to support everything.

Or am I just panicking with little knowledge of video and does All video needs to be converted ?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You say FinalCue Pro does not support any camcorder? Then what does it edit? I know some are not supported but all?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Have you read the Sticky at the top of the Movies and Videos page???
Basic HowTo: Using MTS/M2TS files in FCP/FCE/iMovie
QUOTE Thanks
Pedalman

Im new on the forum , only 2 posts so far so I haven't looked at the "stickies" but I will now you mentioned them.

Apologies guys , Im panicking cos Ive just spent 2500 ( about $3000 ? ) on a Macbook pro Retina to edit wildlife photo's on the move also thinking I could do video as easily as photos , just load in and edit but no its not that simple as that.

Final cut pro obviously does edit video but not until the footage is converted from ACVHD to .Mov that Mac recognises with a degree of quality loss which at my level of knowledge at the moment I dont know how to do it or what to buy to enable me to do it .
There is maybe something out there that converts without quality loss but I have searched for a couple of weeks now and just dont know what is good and bad from all the things I have read .

Im going on a wildlife trip in a few weeks and want to buy a camcorder and get some editing practice done before so I just was hoping someone out there had the experience and knowledge to save me some time searching.

Thanks.

I
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Have you tried what is suggested by Apple here?

http://documentation.apple.com/en/fi...2%26tasks=true
QUOTE Thanks
Pedalman

Thanks for the rapid replies everyone.
Mightygem the info in the Stickies is good , thanks.
Dtravis7, thanks also for that link.

Im not a tech guy so all the abbreviations ill need to work on but Im a little further down the road of knowledge now.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to save .gif files from web | Application to convert files/DVD's etc onto itunes »