New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

VLC- activate?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

domlanic

domlanic is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13" 2012 8GB RAM

Downloaded, installed in Applications- how do I make the thing work?? Video defauklts to Adobe player, I dumped Windows Media Player, can't do the same with QuickTime...

Just want to make VLC the default; the ReadMe says 'open file, get File Info, hit on VLC' but it is greyed out! Wonderful! Why is it so obscure?

Science is what you know, philosophy is what you don't...
Bertrand Russell
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

A similar question was very helpfully answered for me here
Default programs?
QUOTE Thanks
gamal

gamal is an unknown at this point

VLC is a great media player but on the mac it's not that great..
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamal View Post
VLC is a great media player but on the mac it's not that great..
I would have agreed a few years ago, but right now it's actually pretty good. However a great alternative to it is MPlayerX.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

I'm wondering what caused my MBP (10.6.8) to refuse to shut down this morning, and having been forced to shut down declined to start. The only program I've installed that is permanently resident is Paragon, and I haven't read of any problems with that. I've never been aware of any problems with VLC. I have noticed prior to today that Firefox is sometimes reluctant to close, and prevents the machine shutting down. Are there known problems with that on OS-X? I've sometimes found it "iffy" on Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

Gave up on VLC- too complex, their help does not want to know. Installed MPlayerX as per advice but it won't run either.
This from another site-

<<3. Pat Willener, Jul 13, 2011 11:02 PM in reply to Kristin95762 Report
Chrome comes bundled with Flash Player; you cannot uninstall that.
Thanks for your feedback.>>

SO- if I want to get rid of Flash Player I can no longer use Chrome/Gmail?
I have installed MPLayerX but I cannot use this either??

Comments, please?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Won't work? What kind of video are you trying to open?
Complex? Run program, open video/dvd, play. Or right-click video, select Open with... VLC.
No, can't get rid of Quicktime, don't even try. It's part of the system.
Even though VLC can play almost any video file it all revolves around...what kind of file are you trying to open?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by domlanic View Post
Gave up on VLC- too complex, their help does not want to know. Installed MPlayerX as per advice but it won't run either.
This from another site-

<<3. Pat Willener, Jul 13, 2011 11:02 PM in reply to Kristin95762 Report
Chrome comes bundled with Flash Player; you cannot uninstall that.
Thanks for your feedback.>>

SO- if I want to get rid of Flash Player I can no longer use Chrome/Gmail?
I have installed MPLayerX but I cannot use this either??
Regarding Chrome... Flash is embedded in it, so no, you can't be rid of it if you use Chrome.

As for VLC/MPlayerX... I don't know why they aren't running, or more likely why it is you think they aren't running. When you double-click the apps, what happens? VLC should bring up a window. MPLayerX opens, but will show no actual player unless you open a media file from either its menu or by dropping the media on its icon.

You can set either app as the default media player for supported files by right-clicking on the media file; hit Get Info; change the app listed under Open with to the app of your choice; then click Change All to make it the default for all media of that type. You can also do this a bit more easily with this preference pane:
Rubicode - RCDefaultApp

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
domlanic

VLC should bring up a window- should, but does not.
In Chrome all video defaults to Flash Player; no option offered. So I've resorted to
Firefox with MPlayerX which is fine, in fact faster that FP. Happy now but peeved at
wasting so much time trying to unravel VLC.
Look at the VLC help page- it's a nightmare for I.T. challenged folk like me!
MPlayerX is so easy

Thank you all for your time and effort- appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

I just installed VLC and it worked. After the download took me 5 or 6 minutes. I use it several times a day, every day.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I think the OP is confused and is trying to play WEB VIDEO with VLC, which is awkward.

What he actually needs to do is simply install Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian (both free) and then videos on the web will "just play" (using quicktime) as they should.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HD camcorder recording directly to mac hard drive? | iMovie problem - video insertion issue? »