Thread: Writing in HD

Writing in HD
    Hello, can anyone help please I am fast losing the will to live, it started with buying a new Panasonic HD camera and thinking I could import and write HD on my MacBook (2007). Well I now know that mac doesn't like the hd format and iDVD won't write HD oh and I also need a bluray writer.
    Can anyone tell me if I upgrade to Lion (in order to get iMovie 11 ) will I lose iDVD, I love iDVD is there anything out there similar that can do hd or am I asking the impossible of my old but perfectly good machine.

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    iDVD is no longer included with Lion or Mountain Lion. You can use the free Burn open source application or purchase Roxio Toast.

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayk View Post
    Hello, can anyone help please I am fast losing the will to live, it started with buying a new Panasonic HD camera and thinking I could import and write HD on my MacBook (2007). Well I now know that mac doesn't like the hd format and iDVD won't write HD oh and I also need a bluray writer.
    Can anyone tell me if I upgrade to Lion (in order to get iMovie 11 ) will I lose iDVD, I love iDVD is there anything out there similar that can do hd or am I asking the impossible of my old but perfectly good machine.
    I think the real problem here is that, if I may be blunt, you don't really understand what a DVD is.

DVDs are in standard definition format. They don't use HD (unless it's been converted down to SD first).

If you've shot and editing something in HD, the thing you want to do is post it (privately if you prefer) to a site like Vimeo or YouTube (et al).

If you really want a disc, you're going to have to give up iDVD (it can't do HD. Period, end of story) and use a program that can build and burn a Blu-Ray disc. You'll also of course need a Blu-Ray burner.

Though I think iMovie 11 is a HUGELY better program than earlier versions, earlier versions (all the way back to iMovie 6!) can edit HD footage. The Mac likes HD footage just fine, but it doesn't have any magical way of making DVDs take HD footage any more than a PC does.

If you want to use iDVD, convert your HD footage to SD in Apple Intermediate Codec, edit in in iMovie, hand it over to iDVD which will convert it to MPEG-2 for the resulting DVD.

thanks very much for your reply, it puts it all into context, I have resigned myself to SD for the time being I have converted my footage to be able to import to imovie 11, however my IDVD will now not work and I have been unable to reinstall from my instalation disks any thoughts
    Karen

Thread Information