Thread: video converter

video converter
    hello, can anyone reccommend a video converter please.
    I have just purchased a panasonic HD camcorder which is causing imovie to crash.
    I need to be able to convert the hd movie to the highest possible quality that is compatible with MAC free would be good but dont mind paying moderate amount given I have just spent 400 on a camera that i cant use on my mac

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    What format is the camera saving in? Macs are not limited to one format or another, but some of the software on the Mac will use specific formats (like iMovie). Also, many cameras can write their files in different file types.

So, the trick is to match up the two. What model of camera is it?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

it is a panasonic HC V700

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

convertor
    Hi Louishen,
    I had exactly the same problem as your having .Firstly do not panic !!!! like i did lol.
    I have a panasonic hdctm900 which records 1080p in avchd so needed to convert the files.I purchased roxio toast titanium and the additional HD blueray plugin.This allows me to convert my avchd files to prores422 to work with in fcpx and then when i have finished burn them to dvd or even better blue ray if you have a bluerayburner.I choose to record a hd dvd which which is not blueray but an avchd file that plays on any blue ray player in hd quality...
    All the best lee

Specs:
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.10.5. iPhone 3GS.
    it is a panasonic HC V700
    If you want to import into iMovie, I'm pretty sure that you will have to shoot video in the 540/25p mode that your camcorder offers, as iMovie doesn't support the 50p/50i HD modes.

If you want to shoot in 1080, then you'll need something like ClipWrap to change your footage to a Quicktime. Use the Apple Intermediate Codec(AIC) option, as this is what iMovie is optimsed for.

converter
    Quote Originally Posted by leebou View Post
    Hi Louishen,
    I had exactly the same problem as your having .Firstly do not panic !!!! like i did lol.
    I have a panasonic hdctm900 which records 1080p in avchd so needed to convert the files.I purchased roxio toast titanium and the additional HD blueray plugin.This allows me to convert my avchd files to prores422 to work with in fcpx and then when i have finished burn them to dvd or even better blue ray if you have a bluerayburner.I choose to record a hd dvd which which is not blueray but an avchd file that plays on any blue ray player in hd quality...
    All the best lee
    can you explain this process a bit more please
    Karen

Thread Information