New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Mac Pro NLE/Grading solution

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ATH

ATH is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

I'm new to the forum, and looking for some advice on putting a Mac Pro system together for running CS6 and Davinci Resolve.

I work in publishing on a mac all day long, doing assembly edits in FCP 7, and so I'm not new to editing workflow. I'm now looking to develop my skills as a colourist. This is mainly for the projects I work on outside of work time (shorts, music vids etc).

However, I'm on a budget. I have put together a list of the kit I think I will need to start working with CS6 (PPro, AE, and PS), and Davinci Resolve – with reasonable rendering times. I'm no IT guy, and so I've probably made some errors in compatibility, or even just picked something when there's clearly a better option.

Here's my list, (not including any notes about monitors/peripheries) any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro 3.1 (2008)
2 x 2.8GHz quad-cores
10GB Ram (8GB upgrade over standard)
1TB HDD 7200 (boot drive)
G-Raid 2 TB (Media drive)
Sata to eSata extender cable (for G-Raid to run at 220GB/s)
Nvidia GTX 570
BM Intensity Pro

*my estimate adds all of this up to roughly 1800 worth if the HDD, G-Raid, 8GB ram upgrade, GPU, and BM video card are all purchased new (online). That’s about the same price as the new MBP Retina!

Like I said, I may be missing something crucial, or there may be a better option. For example, I’ve seen ebay sellers offering the GTX 470 + GT 120 video cards as a package that’s cheaper than the GTX 570 on it’s own.

Am I mental, or would this work, with fairly decent render times?

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicktime Pro Timelapse Issue | HD camcorders ? »