How much ram, really?
    Yeah, I know, get as much as you can afford.....

I just got a new Mac Pro 6-core, which only has 4 ram slots. (why 4 is a mystery, since triple-memory works best with three sticks, but I digress...)

The point is, I want to upgrade from the current 6 GB, but I can't just get 12 GB and then add more later if needed. (Thanks, Apple.)

I am VERY new to video editing, so I'm hoping for a "common sense" recommendation from you folks on how much to get. Basically, 12 Gb, 24 Gb, or 48GB. Money is very tight right now, or I would just get the 48. I know that more ram means better utilization of open CL, but I have no real-world benchmarks.

Mac 6-core 3.33 Ghz.
    Radeon HD 5770 card.
    Only 4 (3, really) ram slots to work with.
    Main editing drive will probably be a PCIe SSD, but for now a WD 10K velociraptor.

Using FCP-X.

I will mainly be editing HD video from Consumer Canon camcorders. AVCHD, unless I pre-convert. (I am new to this, so don't know all the terms yet.) - but then the pre-conversion would also be heavy rendering, yes? so...
    I hope to be doing what I assume is heavy rendering: "zooming in" for multiple short sections, creating a continuous fake "vignetting" look, etc.

I'd also be starting with 4 hr long raw files, though I suppose I could break them up before rendering into roughly 4 minute sections.

So, how much ram would you recommend? Spending a lot for a small tme savings is not worth it, but a huge time savings would be.

- THANKS.

Anyone? I need to place an order asap. I REALLY need some advice here.

(This forum doesn't seem to have much traffic.)

2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
    Basically, 12 Gb, 24 Gb, or 48GB. Money is very tight right now, or I would just get the 48.
    12gig is going to cost you around $100 bucks, 24gig $250, and 48gig is going to cost $667.99. If money is "very tight"…then (to me)…the 12gig upgrade is the only one that would seem appropriate for a "very tight" budget.

But then again…"very tight" is relative.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
    I would say that if you are considering the 48GB, then opt for 24GB with a "tight" budget. My MBP can run FCP and I am using 8GB, but of course it is not the best, but I am also working on an internal drive...

So with your external SSD/10K HDD, 6 cores, 24GB ram, and a back up solution you should have a really fast workflow.

Thanks, Micro.

I just read a DigiLloyd article where he considers 24 GB the minimum for both FCP and (surprisingly) Photoshop. - though I imagine the latter is only when doing bulk conversion of a lot of files at once.

Well, time to bite the bullet, I guess. 24 GB it is.

Thread Information