New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

Can I convert PC .exp video file?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dannyproctor

dannyproctor is on a distinguished road

I have a DVD with security camera footage from a restaurant made on a Pelco DVR device that is encoded as a .exp file. It only plays on a PC in Windows Media but cannot be downloaded or converted on the PC. It doesn't show up at all on my PowerBook. I've been given the job of editing the footage down to a brief clip but I can't use typical software to copy and convert it. I usually use Handbrake. Any suggestions? I need to get this done ASAP. Any suggestions will be most helpful and appreciated. My OSX is 10.6.8. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You will have to contact Pelco I think

I do work with Bosch Security Systems on their CCTV products (I am a Graphic designer)

In many cases they encode an mpeg stream and wrap it in a proprietary video codec, so I would contact the manufacturer to see if they offer a viewer program or know of a way to convert the CCTV footage to a more common format

Often they have these odd formats to prevent tampering to make sure the footage can hold up in court. There is a new standard called ONVIF that is more open, but maybe Pelco are not using this more recent standard

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Nethfel

Nethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of lightNethfel is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10

hi!

Welcome to the forums.

Are you sure it's got an extension .exp? I've never seen that extension before and it's not even registered as an extension normally used by Pelco (rather it's shown as an extension used by a few other products) - only security system exports that I've seen have been AVCHD, MP4, MOV or AVI (but also as louishen states, some (higher end ones) use a proprietary wrapper as well). I'd suggest calling Pelco to get it resolved - you can get their contact info here: Pelco Sales and Support Contact Information .

As a side note - if you have 10.6.8 on your laptop, it's a Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro. Powerbooks did not have Intel processors in them and are not compatible with 10.6.8 (which requires an intel processor). The last version of OSX compatible with powerbooks was 10.5.x.

My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)
QUOTE Thanks
dannyproctor

Yeah, it's a Macbook Pro. This footage is to be used in court. It's hours long and they only want the clip of a customer who fell in the restaurant. The actual file name on the disc is CH06_20081213_2303.exp ... I will try contacting Pelco. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
dannyproctor

And actually I'm not sure it's a Pelco file. I may have gotten that notion from searching Google for security cam info.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Usually you need to use whatever video management software the CCTV system has, its usually the DVR that has encoded the file, so start with the DVR manufacturer

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie: Which one was the good one? | iMovie 11: How to work with multiple audio tracks? »