New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

A novice to video editing

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

carpenterken

carpenterken will become famous soon enough

My son got a Go Pro camera, and we got some good video. I am trying to edit it in CS5 and am struggling bad. The only editing program my Power Mac has is CS5. I would like to find an easier program to use. Can any of you suggest a program that is simple? All I really need is the ability to edit out the portions that we don't need.
thank you,
Ken.
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Do you not have iMovie?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might give MPEG Streamclip a try. It is free and according to the site should work on your system. It is good for the kind of editing you want to do as well as converting to other formats.

Playback/conversion of some formats requires the MPEG 2 Playback Component from Apple but I would try it without it first.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
Do you not have iMovie?
No I do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
You might give MPEG Streamclip a try. It is free and according to the site should work on your system. It is good for the kind of editing you want to do as well as converting to other formats.

Playback/conversion of some formats requires the MPEG 2 Playback Component from Apple but I would try it without it first.
I will try that. Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I did a little poking around on the manufacturers website for this series of cameras and found the following:
Quote:
**When you have the camera connected via the USB cord, please make sure that you have the camera powered on. The computer will not recognize a USB connection when the camera is powered off. You also need to have a SD card inserted, for the computer to recognize a connection.**
Try leaving the card in the camera and connecting a usb cable then turning the camera on. Your program may "see" the card then and treat the footage as a series of files on a disk drive.

Sometimes you can also read the files by inserting the SD card into a card reader rather than using the camera. You can then copy information from the card to your hard drive. Copy the folders intact not just the video files.

Do you know what format the video is stored in?

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Quote:
No I do not.
How come? It's included with every Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
to2ed

to2ed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenterken View Post
My son got a Go Pro camera, and we got some good video. I am trying to edit it in CS5 and am struggling bad. The only editing program my Power Mac has is CS5. I would like to find an easier program to use. Can any of you suggest a program that is simple? All I really need is the ability to edit out the portions that we don't need.
thank you,
Ken.
Ken, CS5 is not a video editing program, it is for photo editing. Check out and go to applications, find iMovie there, open it, go to file and click 'import', wait for the file to be downloaded on 'New Event' box below..once the download is completed, copy/paste the entire selection and drag it up to the Timeline box above.. from here you could preview your file... do that and come back to me for the next move:-)
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

CS5 has Premiere Pro in it. Premiere Pro is a Movie editing program. It is one of the best, but very hard to use.
Here is a screen shot of all of my applications.(no I-movie) Can it be downloaded free?
QUOTE Thanks
to2ed

Quote:
CS5 has Premiere Pro in it. Premiere Pro is a Movie editing program. It is one of the best, but very hard to use.
Here is a screen shot of all of my applications.(no I-movie) Can it be downloaded free?

That's pretty awesome, Ken... did CS5 come along with your purchase of the Power Mac? In that case why bother for iMovie when you have this Adobe Premiere within your systems? Just get a tutorial and dabble with the possibilities on trial and error... you'll get there.
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

Quote:
Originally Posted by to2ed View Post
That's pretty awesome, Ken... did CS5 come along with your purchase of the Power Mac? In that case why bother for iMovie when you have this Adobe Premiere within your systems? Just get a tutorial and dabble with the possibilities on trial and error... you'll get there.
Yes, I bought the computer used from a Graphics student, that has a student license. I have no instructions. I will try Utube for some how to videos.
QUOTE Thanks
to2ed

Quote:
Yes, I bought the computer used from a Graphics student, that has a student license. I have no instructions. I will try Utube for some how to videos.
Good idea and good luck on your quest. here's my email address: to2ed@aol.com :-)
QUOTE Thanks
carpenterken

Quote:
Originally Posted by to2ed View Post
Good idea and good luck on your quest. here's my email address: to2ed@aol.com :-)
Have you ever used Premier Pro?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« stream video from Mac to TV | iMovie 11 exporting help »