New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

HELP PLEASE!! iMovie '09 crashes with no reason!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DigitalNeverlan

DigitalNeverlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2009

Since yesterday, every time i try to open iMovie it instantly crashes, right at the moment i click the icon in the dash, i already repaired the Disk, i already installed updates and i already deleted the "com.apple.iMovie.plist" thingy and it keeps crashing without a reason. HELP ME PLEASE!! i really need to use it because i kinda use it for my work. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

Found this in this Topic:
iMovie keeps crashing....Can someone help me?

Quote:
I have been having the same problem and spoke today with a rep from Apple Care. Here's what he told me. Quit iMovie; go to Computer > Movies and move the iMovie Projects folder to the desktop. Open iMovie; create a new test project using film footage from the Event Library. Try to export it or to do whatever you were doing when it crashed (selecting Titles below a certain row in the Titles window made mine crash as well as exporting). If you do these things and iMovie does not crash, the problem is being caused by a corrupted movie project. (Although the rep wouldn't say so, iMovie is causing the corrupting--and the problem lies with the titles--more on this below.) Just having a corrupted project in the Project Library will make the program crash, even if you are working on a new project. You have to rebuild your file piece by piece, seeing if it exports after each addition to see if the new addition is causing the problem (choose tiny movie because it's quicker). I managed to retrieve all the edited video plus transitions by clicking on a film clip in the corrupted project and selecting all and copying it and importing into a new project (though in between, I had to open and close iMovie to drag that corrupted project back to the desktop because it kept crashing). I discovered that one particular kind of title--Organic Main-- was making the project and program crash--not all of the titles. When I tried to add it back to the rebuilt project, it crashed; when I went to the old file that was corrupted and tried to delete that title, it crashed. When I tried to delete the clip that had that title on it in the old project, it crashed. The transitions I used worked fine (though not sure if all of them would). Music, photos, film clips, etc. all fine. The problem lies with iMovie and it needs a fix! But I was able to rebuild my project--minus the style of title I like--and export it using this method.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalNeverlan

DigitalNeverlan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
You (DigitalNeverlan) seem to be having a similar problem with MP3 files in another thread. This makes me think there is something up with your system. Try running OnyX or your preferred system maintenance tool (DO NOT use MacKeeper or MacCleaner!!).
Thanks i downloaded it but its asking me for a registration key what should i do?
QUOTE Thanks
MightyGem

MightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the roughMightyGem is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. White MacBook, 10.8.5. iPhone 3GS.

It shouldn't do as it's freeware. Where did you download it from? I just found this on the MacUpdate site:
Quote:
Derekcurrie commented on 15 Jun 2012
This is a WARNING about a FRAUD 'Onyx' website.

This goes to show you how popular Onyx is for Mac users. If you Google 'Onyx Mac', the TOP result is a SCAM SITE:

Onyx Mac – Instant Download Onyx for Mac OS X
(67.205.60.254)

It lures you into downloading some mysterious scamware called 'SpeedUpMac' that is entirely UNrelated to Onyx. I scanned the DMG file for Mac malware and found none.
This is the MacUpdate site. Try downloading from there:
Download OnyX for Mac - Maintenance and optimization tool. MacUpdate.com

or the developer's site:
Titanium's Software • Home
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Has anyone read the reviews on the app store for iMovie lately? This crashing problem is pretty widespread.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-06-23 at 11.44.49 AM.png (144.2 KB, 11 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recording Video from iTunes Purchases | looking for a codec »