New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Movies and Video For people making movies and editing video with their Mac.

USB Streaming to a MB Air

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jd42

jd42 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am new to the mac air and just about all my gadgets and programs don't work with apple. The last straw was when I had an occasion to stream something and the mac didn't recognize my streaming camera. So I am forced to install a retail copy of windows xp via bootcamp.

I have no firewire on the mac air so I must use the USB. The camera is a Sony (i know) TRV-350 that supports USB streaming and it has a firewire output which is now useless to me, I guess.

btw, for those people who stream on occasion, we will be in trouble soon. None of the new consumer camcorders or laptops come with firewire anymore.

So does anyone know if this is going to work? I know it won't be great but I am just shooting people talking in one place. thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

If you're dealing with video I might suggest that the MacBook Air wasn't the best choice with its lack of FireWire and limited on-board storage. MacBook pros come with both upgradable storage and FireWire.

Also you have a now, quite old digital 8 camcorder. So compatibility on any modern platform is going to get increasingly limited.

In light of very capable HD webcams being available at very reasonable prices I'd suggest buying one of those rather than using your existing camcorder.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jd42

thanks mrplow,
I realize that now, however, weight was a huge factor for me as i travel quite a bit. I stream once every couple of years I guess. The reason I got that old dig 8, from a pawn shop, was because its ability to pass-through analog to digital signals. Needed to convert old 8 mm to dvd's. Highly desirable item on ebay. I was going to do it, just never got around to it. I didn't think of my old laptop blowing up, but i digress.

I did think about a webcam but they don't zoom in. A HD webcam would be even harder to stream, no?

Whether its a SD webcam or my old dig 8, they both will be utilizing the USB port to stream, so how terrible is this going to be?? thanks so much for answering.
ps mac air lacks a line-in too ! How much do those mac pros weigh.....
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Zoom is an issue. Though if you don't need HD res most HD cameras have 3 x digital zoom. The alternative is a compact digital camera many have the facility to be used as webcams and have at least 3x optical zoom.

But as to USB. It'll be fine streaming SD and HD over USB.

Something like this will give you a mic in connection if that's any use.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jd42

Hey this is great news!!

I can't wait to see how the stream comes out. I just have to decide if I use a venue hotspot or my own, not sure which would be faster.

The external sound card is really cool. Best Buy has one I can pick up today. I was bummed about not having a line in because I use a remote mic. Now I got something to plug it in to. This is just great, thank you so much!! jd
QUOTE Thanks
jd42

Hey got a stupid question, will the USB stream both audio and video?

Thought I need to check this.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

It's capable of it yes. Just depends on the device connected.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« toast 9 movie to usb | iMovie audio problem. »